Troubles installing and using graphics in Windows 11 VM

Temporary forum to discuss issues and problems during a VirtualBox Beta or Release Candidate phase.
Air Force One
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows

Troubles installing and using graphics in Windows 11 VM

Post by Air Force One »

I have my Windows 11 VM on my Windows 10 host. I try to update to VBox 7 Beta 1 from 6.1.38.

First issue: VM starts and one can see Windows loading. But at the moment we should see the guest desktop, all I can see is a black screen. The guest runs, there is a Windows sound at the end of the start, but there is nothing to see.
I manage to boot my guest in safe mode. Here the graphics worked, and I could update the Guest Add-ons.

The next trouble after restart - graphics is working, but all menus are transparent and have no background. Things like start menu or any settings menu like sound level widget. Looks really weird.

I put the logs here, one for no graphics with old drivers and one for transparent graphics with new one.
Attachments
vbox_logs_video_04092022.7z
Logs from transparent background after installation
(83.4 KiB) Downloaded 175 times
vbox_7_logs_02092022.7z
Logs from "no video at the start" scenario
(54.47 KiB) Downloaded 165 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Troubles installing and using graphics in Windows 11 VM

Post by scottgus1 »

I'm not certain what was up with the first blackscreen boot. But for the second boot, 3D acceleration is on, and you might be able to fix the graphics issues by disabling Settings > Personalization > Colors > Transparency Effects in the VM.

unactivated Windows has the same setting here:
Ease of Access > Display > Simplify and personalize Windows > Show transparency in Windows
Air Force One

Post by Air Force One »

Thank you for your response. I didn't turn the 3D acceleration off, so it should be on all the time.

I try to describe this once again. Here we have a Windows 11 VM under VBox 6.1.38 with Windows 10 as a host. Just updated to the new Beta 1 from VBox 7 and all I can see is a black screen instead of the desktop after the boot.

Deliberately crashed VM on boot three times, so automatic recovery is started and here I can go to safe mode, where I can see the desktop of VM and install the delivered version of the Guest Additions.

I didn't change the VM OS from Windows 10 to Windows 11 before the update. This could be easily reproduced once again from me: I just need to install old VBox and Guest Additions, and so we should once again see this problem on update.

As of transparency, even after changing the VM OS settings from Windows 10 to Windows 11: this is here even if I turn the transparency off in the settings. I made a picture so you can see it.
Attachments
Picture of transparency
Picture of transparency
transp.png (127.86 KiB) Viewed 17195 times
Air Force One

Post by Air Force One »

Still here in Beta 2.
Air Force One