Hard Crash

Temporary forum to discuss issues and problems during a VirtualBox Beta or Release Candidate phase.
Khun_Doug

Hard Crash

Post by Khun_Doug »

Have the latest beta installed and operating. Installed Windows 11 and allowed the VM to run using FireFox as music streaming from SiruisXM. Eventually the VM desktop became unresponsive and the VM crashed out and closed. I am attaching all the logs from the Logs folder.

Host: Asrock X570 Creator, CPU Ryzen 5950X, 64GB RAM, GPU AMD RX 6800 XT. Host PC is rock solid. Can game, stream, encode for hours on end and doesn't crash.

There are display issues with this build that I have experienced on previous builds. I have to setup test cases so I can grab screen snapshots. But that is a different thread.
Attachments
Logs.7z
(173.3 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Hard Crash

Post by scottgus1 »

The crash is related to host video, C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\d3d11.dll; 3D acceleration is enabled, and 7.0's Guest Additions are installed. The hardening log shows a final ExitCode=0xc0000005, which didn't show up when starting the VM, so may be caused by some other host app getting in the way, like extra-aggressive 3rd-party AV. Or maybe a host video driver hit an unsigned spot. See viewtopic.php?f=25&t=82106#p387192.

10 processors is a lot for a VM, unless you have multi-processor-aware data-crunching apps running in the VM. 2 processors is a good starting place. More processors slows down the VM.

Do these issues occur on this host when running 6.1.36 on the host and the Guest Additions? Such a test would check if this is from Virtualbox 7.0 or a quirk of the host.
Khun_Doug

Post by Khun_Doug »

@Scottgus .... I have not been able to do much testing with prior versions of VirtualBox due to the Windows 11 hardware requirement issues. I have used other earlier versions of VirtualBox and tested with playing a SiriusXM stream. Every one of those lost sound once the screen saver on the guest turned off the display. The only fix I found was to power-cycle the VB guest. The host never has these issues as I can stream music, game, encode, or write code, all for hours without issue. The AV on the machine is the standard Windows 11 AV, Windows Security.

I can add an exclusion to the VirtualBox guest folder for another test and report back if it happens again. I did set the guest to never turn off the display to try and prevent the sound stopping. Seems redundant since I can just as easily minimize it so I don't see it. And further, I suppose the sound stopping is a bug that should be submitted. Not sure how to do that since there is no crash and the VM guest continues to run normally otherwise.

All my guest VMs have a minimum of 8 virtual CPUs, and some more. I use VMware extensively and that factor hasn't been an issue. And neither has the sound stopping issue. Again, those VMs have run for hours on end and there is no crash, no sound or display issue. But I am trying to get away from VMware due to cost, hence my interest in VirtualBox.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

The sound going south when the guest screen turns off might be a bug. You could open a topic on that in the appropriate host forum, and please note what host audio connection you're using: HDMI, USB, old-school headphone jack, etc.

We recommend disabling power and sleep controls in the VM OS: the OS now behaves as an app, and it shouldn't be trying to turn off things that it has no valid control over. Strange things can happen.

Windows Defender doesn't interfere with Virtualbox. However, you have Malwarebytes installed, which is 3rd-party, though might not necessarily be causing the issue. See the Hardening link for further suggestions.
Khun_Doug wrote:I have not been able to do much testing with prior versions of VirtualBox due to the Windows 11 hardware requirement issues.
So this 11 VM is a brand new install made in 7.0, and you've not tried 11 in earlier versions?

It might be curious to try a 10 VM in 7.0 and see if the problem happens there, too.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

While the last crash is located in a Windows graphics DLL, the VBox.log files show a lot of guest OS crashes probably related to audio (often after "HDA: Reset" log messages).