Android x86 finally works! VMSVGA does not work!

Temporary forum to discuss issues and problems during a VirtualBox Beta or Release Candidate phase.
birdie
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux, other Unixes

Android x86 finally works! VMSVGA does not work!

Post by birdie »

android-x86_64-9.0-r2.iso works! What a relief.
sha256sum android-x86_64-9.0-r2.iso 
f7eb8fc56f29ad5432335dc054183acf086c539f3990f0b6e9ff58bd6df4604e  android-x86_64-9.0-r2.iso
Options used:

Display: VBoxSVGA 128MB, no 3D acceleration
Processor: 4 cores
RAM: 4GB

It fails completely with VMSVGA.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Android x86 finally works! VMSVGA does not work!

Post by mpack »

Have we not had this conversation before? There are no GAs for Android, i.e. no Android graphics drivers, therefore there is no possibility that any of VirtualBox graphics controllers will do anything useful. The mere presence of a chipset does not speed anything up, the guest OS has to make use of it.
birdie

Post by birdie »

mpack wrote:Have we not had this conversation before? There are no GAs for Android, i.e. no Android graphics drivers, therefore there is no possibility that any of VirtualBox graphics controllers will do anything useful. The mere presence of a chipset does not speed anything up, the guest OS has to make use of it.
I don't know why you're trying to attack (or disagree with me hard) me all the time.

With 6.1.36 I couldn't make Android x86 work at all. Now at least one VGPU works.

Can I report my experience or you deny even this to me? Should I STFU and log out permanently?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I participate in most discussions here but I am not aware that I disagree with you "all the time". I have a vague memory of discussing the above already, and pointing out pretty much the same facts (which have not changed) and that is what I said above.

And please absorb what I said, as none of it was speculation.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

By the way, what exactly counts as "working" to you, as far as the graphics chipset is concerned?

Are you saying that a 64bit Android VM crashes or fails to boot if VMSVGA is selected? Note that none of the available graphics chipsets should actually be relevant in an unsupported OS, but if you use a Linux template then VirtualBox will assume you intend to install Linux and it will select VMSVGA by default in the VM recipe. I'm not aware that this should cause a crash or hang or have any other measurable result (positive or negative) at all - especially when 3D acceleration was disabled as your notes said.
birdie

Post by birdie »

mpack wrote:By the way, what exactly counts as "working" to you, as far as the graphics chipset is concerned?

Are you saying that a 64bit Android VM crashes or fails to boot if VMSVGA is selected? Note that none of the available graphics chipsets should actually be relevant in an unsupported OS, but if you use a Linux template then VirtualBox will assume you intend to install Linux and it will select VMSVGA by default in the VM recipe. I'm not aware that this should cause a crash or hang or have any other measurable result (positive or negative) at all - especially when 3D acceleration was disabled as your notes said.
With 6.1.36 Android x86 was completely unusable with any Virtual GPU: the surfaceflinger process kept crashing all the time or didn't load at all. It made using Android impossible.

With 7.0 beta it actually works.