VirtualBox 7.0 BETA1 released

Temporary forum to discuss issues and problems during a VirtualBox Beta or Release Candidate phase.
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Re: VirtualBox 7.0 BETA1 released

Post by multiOS »

Rui Baptista
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux, ...

Post by Rui Baptista »

Hello.

What I am given to see only "Extended features: Enable 3D Acceleration" does not work in this version.

I tested CentOS, Debian, elementary OS, Fedora, LinuxMint, Manjaro, openSUSE, pop_OS, Ubuntu, ZorinOS, High Sierra, Catalina, Big Sur, Monterey, Windows 10 and Windows 11.

Excellent work on the administrative side. The only part I don't agree with is the size of Settings, it seems to me that it's too big.

Rui
Attachments
Settings.zip
(29.14 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
birdie
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux, other Unixes

Post by birdie »

aeichner wrote:The GUI got a huge overhaul and supports dark mode now.
How can it be enabled? Don't see anything in the Linux version.

Edit: I've dug the files and found out that according to UICommon.so:
<ExtraDataItem name="GUI/ColorTheme" value="Dark"/>
should enable Dark Mode but under Linux it does nothing.
Rui Baptista

Post by Rui Baptista »

Hi

You probably already know this, but in the guest part in 'Devices > Insert Guest Additions CD image' it doesn't work but in 'Devices > Optical Drives > Choose a disk file' it does the job.

Now on the server side: I did the installation of Windows11_22H2_pt-pt.iso without 'Skip Unattended Installation' but I noticed that the installation was done with a Home edition. Then I made the following script:

Code: Select all

VBoxManage unattended install Windows14 --iso=D:\Software\windows11\Windows11_21H2_pt-pt.iso --user=Rui --password=xxxxxxxx --full-user-name="Rui Baptista" --locale=pt_PT --hostname=DV5-WINDOWS14.WORKGROUP --image-index=6

VBoxManage startvm Windows14
Here '--image-index=6' loads Pro instead of Home. In my opinion this is a valid development, however it requires putting a new item in the 'Unattended Guest OS Install Setup' window.

Rui
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Rui Baptista wrote: You probably already know this, but in the guest part in 'Devices > Insert Guest Additions CD image' it doesn't work
Can you clarify what "doesn't work" means? If this is where you encountered VERR_PDM_MEDIA_LOCKED then that is a feature of Linux that's been there since forever, it is not a 7-Beta regression.
Rui Baptista

Post by Rui Baptista »

Here are my posts for debian-11.3.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso
Attachments
VBox Choose a disk file.zip
(42.3 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
VBox Insert Guest Additions CD image.zip
(41.94 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
Rui Baptista

Post by Rui Baptista »

Sorry for the inconvenience, Insert Guest Additions CD image Works as expected...

Rui
dengolius

Post by dengolius »

Technologov wrote:> There is no recompilation taking place like with QEMU und there is no ARM virtualization.

Since VirtualBox itself came from Qemu code directly, maybe it can copy dynamic recompiler also ? ... this should speed up the emulation significantly.

> VirtualBox on macOS doesn't require or use kernel extensions anymore but relies solely on Apple's hypervisor framework, there are likely bugs in that area (The official documentation for AppleHV is pretty bare bones and requires a lot of guess work).

How network bridge can work with it ? (if at all)

* Would be nice to have a Linux/ARM64 build for Raspberry Pi :) (or for Altera servers ... if you have those... )
What about kvm/xen? There are a lot of manuals and guides how to use them on RPI
lwfinger

Post by lwfinger »

We are having trouble building the openSUSE version from source. It fails with an error "No rule to make target '/usr/lib64/libQt5Help.so'".

I am unable to find any Makefile rules that try to create this file, which is not needed as my build system contains /usr/lib64/libQt5Help.so.5. Any suggestions would be helpful.

I like the new look of the GUI, particularly the popup that happens when there is an error starting the VM such as not having the xHCI drivers available.

I expect that I will get lots of questions from my users over how to install the extpack from the GUI. It certainly took me a while to find it under the Tools sub menu.
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Post by klaus »

lwfinger wrote:We are having trouble building the openSUSE version from source. It fails with an error "No rule to make target '/usr/lib64/libQt5Help.so'".

I am unable to find any Makefile rules that try to create this file, which is not needed as my build system contains /usr/lib64/libQt5Help.so.5. Any suggestions would be helpful.

I like the new look of the GUI, particularly the popup that happens when there is an error starting the VM such as not having the xHCI drivers available.

I expect that I will get lots of questions from my users over how to install the extpack from the GUI. It certainly took me a while to find it under the Tools sub menu.
The libQt5Help issue is a bit odd... quite a few things have been modernized, and I think somehow the openSUSE package we're building is linking against system Qt. So it must be possible. The Qt modules needed are collected in make variable VBOX_QT_MOD, and since it's used on various platforms the lib prefix and .so suffix adding is a bit hidden. Anyway, I thought that in the linker command line one usually specifies libQt5Help.so, and the linker (with the help of symlinks provided by the appropriate -dev package which is needed for building) does the actual mapping to the versioned library file name. Could it be that your build env lacks some non-obvious -dev package for Qt?

Regarding extpack install from the GUI: what's wrong with double clicking on the .vbox-extpack file in your favorite file manager?
lwfinger

Post by lwfinger »

You are building against Leap 15.3, and my base is Tumbleweed. That should not make any difference, but I will test that assumption. I will also modify the build so that it echos VBOX_QT_MOD before it tries to build UICommon.

Nothing wrong with doule clicking on the extpack file.
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Post by klaus »

We're having a fixed, known working container for building the openSUSE package. We're not relying on sophisticated RPM build tools which use "BuildRequires" in the SPEC file for figuring out which packages to install for building the package. Does your build env have libqt5-qttools-devel?
lwfinger

Post by lwfinger »

That was the problem. I was installing the binary package libQt5Help5 rather than the the devel package. The RPM build is working now. Thanks for the help.