Windows 11 build 22621 guest often freezes

Temporary forum to discuss issues and problems during a VirtualBox Beta or Release Candidate phase.
birdie
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux, other Unixes

Windows 11 build 22621 guest often freezes

Post by birdie »

This guest OS, yes, it's not a final version but it's a release candidate, so it's nearly final, freezes far too often.

It results in all the cores dedicated to the guest OS being 100% busy, a short audio fragment playing in a loop (whatever played at the moment), while you can only move the mouse pointer. Otherwise the host OS is essentially dead.

Only hard reboot/power off work.

This can be triggered by:

* Playing videos in the built in video player.
* Simply using Control Center or Windows Explorer

This happens (I presume) only with Guest Additions installed.

Host OS: Fedora 36, Kernel 5.19.4, NVIDIA 515.65.01 drivers.
Guest OS: Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 22621, RAM 4GB, 4 CPU cores, 52GB SATA HDD. Everything else by default.

There's nothing interesting in VirtualBox logs. When the guest OS freezes, this is not reflected in the logs at all.
rfm
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Ubuntu, Windows

Re: Windows 11 build 22621 guest often freezes

Post by rfm »

I'm seeing very similar freezing-up symptoms with the current released Windows 11, except I do get this message in the VBox.log when the freeze happens:

VBox.log:00:07:07.419236 VMMDev: vmmDevHeartbeatFlatlinedTimer: Guest seems to be unresponsive. Last heartbeat received 4 seconds ago

It does seem to be connected with display activity, I booted/logged in and just let it alone and it downloaded and installed a big update, but as soon as I tried to use Settings to check the version, the freeze happened.
okcrum
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Windows, Solaris, OpenIndiana

Post by okcrum »

As well as pegging at 100% guest CPU, I also see about 35k VM exits, more or less continuously, after the VM crash on build 22000. Installing Firefox makes the VM eminently crashable from a single click, so I've removed it temporarily. Edge has caused me problems as well, but I've currently gotten the guest to stay up for about 9 hours (and still going).

I am running the latest Windows 11 guest on Ubuntu 22.04.1 host using BETA2. Net has been tried both NAT and bridged using Intel driver with no apparent effect. 3d accel is disabled in the VM. Windows 10 and Illumos/Solaris VMs show no similar crashes and run fine under BETA2. Neither of them are booting with EFI though.

TL;DR BETA2 seems about as stable for Windows 11 as X11R2 was on *NIX (X11R3 was the first version that could run > 24 hours).

Chuck
okcrum

Post by okcrum »

Here are Windows 11 build 22000 error reports for 7 freeze events from this install using BETA2.
Attachments
VBoxWin11crashes.txt
(26.04 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
AndyCot

Post by AndyCot »

W11 22H2 freezes after using it to check the events or look at the settings. This occurs within the first 5 minutes. This occurs after the initial install with no apps or updates applied (guest additions have been installed).

Attached is the VBOX file that has the settings in it.
Attachments
Win11-bios.vbox.txt
(7.92 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

okcrum wrote:Here are Windows 11 build 22000 error reports for 7 freeze events from this install using BETA2.
Several of the crashes show an Immunet AV software crashing. What happens when you uninstall the software, reboot the host and run the VM afterwards?
okcrum

Post by okcrum »

Same result without AV software. Issue is fixed by 7.0.5 test build.