Native Windows 11 driver for Intel Pro/1000 MT Desktop (8254OEM) - no Core Isolation

Temporary forum to discuss issues and problems during a VirtualBox Beta or Release Candidate phase.
Ken S
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: MS Windows 10

Native Windows 11 driver for Intel Pro/1000 MT Desktop (8254OEM) - no Core Isolation

Post by Ken S »

(Mod edit: Topic title changed. Original title "BETA 1 - Network setup")

Is anyone running the beta version (7.0) and Win 11 without using hacks? If so could you please share your settings for Network, I am using NAT, Intel Pro/1000 MT Desktop (8254OEM) with a driver of E1G6032E.sys.

The driver is stopping me turning on Core Isolation. I cannot find a newer version. I have tried other setups without success.

Thanks
Ken
Last edited by scottgus1 on 18. Sep 2022, 15:05, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: changed topic title
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: BETA 1 - Network setup

Post by scottgus1 »

The driver is coming from Windows 11 not from Virtualbox. The New VM wizard picks the hardware known by the devs to work with the drivers provided by the OS chosen in the dropdown templates. If one picks the wrong template, or manually changes the hardware choices after the wizard is complete, then YMMV.

Please check that you're picking a Windows 11 template and that you didn't make any changes to the chosen network card (I am not able to check what the template chooses atm). Then whatever driver Windows has bundled in itself and picks to go with the hardware will be pulled up. If that driver then does not allow a security setting to turn on, then you may have to let Microsoft know.
Ken S

Post by Ken S »

Thanks for your reply. What you are saying makes sense of course ... but does that mean, when you say template, I have to create a whole new VM? If so wont I lose all my installed software and data. Sorry for any confusion.

Ken
Ken S

Post by Ken S »

What I did (as per my last thread) was to create a backup of my VM directory, then change the VM type to Win 11, as suggested by your reply ("If you switch the VM type to Windows 11, it should enable you to get access to Windows-11-required 'hardware' like TPM.").

Ken

More details in case they help:
Created a backup of my VM
Ran PC Health and tried to upgrade to Win 11
Following your suggestion, switched the VM type to Win 11
Ran PC Health and tried to upgrade to Win 11
There were 3 offending drivers, deleted 2 relating to connecting a phone to the computer
The 3rd was the driver for the network
Tried to find a more up-to-date version of the driver without success
Tried several other selections for adapter type without success

Ken
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Post by klaus »

It is a known issue that the E1G6032E.sys driver is incompatible with Core Isolation. It's an issue with the driver (written by Intel/Microsoft) which the author of the driver could fix, but apparently that's not likely to happen. We're trying to find (as a workaround in the end) a solution in VirtualBox, most likely by offering a new E1000 variant which uses a different driver. Will need some more time.
Ken S

Post by Ken S »

Thanks very much for your reply and that info, nice to know it is not just me! I look forward to your finding a workaround.

Ken
Ken S

BETA 2 Feedback

Post by Ken S »

Not sure if this is ok, if not just delete this.

Installed BETA 2, and Guest, install went ok, no noticeable changes to previously, which is good (no problems arose for my setup) and bad (still can't upgrade VM to Win 11 ... just noting, not being critical, I know work has to be done for it).

Ken
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: BETA 2 Feedback

Post by mpack »

I think it's known that installing a new version of the software does not by itself change the settings of a VM. It's only VMs created with the Win11 template which are Win11 compatible. So did you try changing the VM template to Win11?
Ken S

Post by Ken S »

Please refer to klaus's reply to my post viewtopic.php?f=15&t=106980.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I don't understand what Klaus's answer in that topic has to do with the question asked here?

But, note that cross posting is against the forum rules, so if this is a continuation of the same discussion then it shouldn't exist as a separate topic.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

I believe I get what Ken is talking about in regard to Klaus' post, and it appears to be a continuation. Topics merged.

Ken, the problem you're facing is with Microsoft's driver, not with anything being done in Virtualbox. MS's driver is broken. So you'll have to take this up with Microsoft.

Klaus says that to work around this MS issue, Virtualbox will likely have to provide a new network card for Windows 11 VMs. If you don't see a new network card being provided by Virtualbox in new Beta # releases for Windows 11, or any mention in the changelog, then this issue won't yet have a workaround, and the status will be the same as it is now. Further posts on this issue would go here in this topic.

Note that you can get a driver from Intel for the existing Virtualbox Intel network cards by downloading it from Intel and installing it in the VM. (I used to do this for XP VMs for the gigabit MT Desktop adapter, until I was told that XP had native drivers for the T Server card.) If Intel has a W11-Core-Isolation-compatible driver for one of Virtualbox's network cards, then you can get it and install it. (Make a backup copy of the VM files first, of course.)
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Re: Native Windows 11 driver for Intel Pro/1000 MT Desktop (8254OEM) - no Core Isolation

Post by fth0 »

scottgus1 wrote:If Intel has a W11-Core-Isolation-compatible driver for one of Virtualbox's network cards
As klaus already pointed out, that's unlikely to happen. To put it into some perspective:

The "current" Intel driver version 8.4.13.0 for the Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT Desktop Adapter is from 2010. The incompatibility with Windows Core Isolation is being discussed on the Internet at least since 2020. (And there's no typo in both years mentioned. ;))
Ian P

Re: Native Windows 11 driver for Intel Pro/1000 MT Desktop (8254OEM) - no Core Isolation

Post by Ian P »

I had the same problem and have now managed to get round it. I am running a Windows 11 guest under 7.0.4, and the guest was saying that Memory Integrity could not be enabled due to incompatibilities in the E1G6032E.sys driver for the Intel Pro/1000 MT Desktop Adapter. And as above, that driver, version 8.4.13.0, is dated 2010, so it's over 12 years old now.

I found a bunch of reports of this same issue in a VMWare forum, and the reported fix there is to change the network adapter from "e1000" to "e1000e" or "vmxnet3". We don't have those here, but I tried the other Intel and PCnet adapter types that VirtualBox does support, and that was a non-starter - they don't seem to have drivers in Windows. Finally I tried virtio-net, and this does work, and does not trigger this driver incompatibility warning.

It took some work to locate the drivers for virtio-net, and I eventually found them from this post: viewtopic.php?t=26200. Note that once you've downloaded and mounted the ISO referenced there, the driver for Windows 11 is located under NetKVM\w11. Also, after switching from Intel PRO/1000 MT, you then need to manually delete the E1G6032E.sys driver from C:\Windows\System32\drivers, otherwise Memory Integrity will continue to whine about it even though its no longer in use. You might want to save it so you can restore it later should you decide to go back to the PRO/1000 adapter.

Now though, I have another issue with it. It now allows me to turn on Memory Integrity, telling me that a reboot is needed. It reboots, and then Memory Integrity turns right back off. The Windows event log shows a bunch of errors saying "The device driver for the Trusted Platform Module (TPM) encountered a non-recoverable error in the TPM hardware, which prevents TPM services (such as data encryption) from being used", which might be the reason.