REGRESSION: Guest VLANs on bridged adapters do not work in 7.0.0B3

Temporary forum to discuss issues and problems during a VirtualBox Beta or Release Candidate phase.
ChrisJenkins
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux x64, Win 7 x64

REGRESSION: Guest VLANs on bridged adapters do not work in 7.0.0B3

Post by ChrisJenkins »

macOS Ventura beta (22A5365d) with VirtualBox 7.0.0 Beta 3 and extension pack.

I have an OL8 guest which has two network adapters configured (both paravirtualized).In the guest OS, on the second adapter I have configured a VLAN (vlan 200).

In the underlying macOS host, both the guest adapters map to the same (only) physical Ethernet connection using bridged mode. The macOS host also has the same VLAN defined on this adapter (used by macOS).

In macOS Monterey with VirtualBox 6.1.38 this configuration works as expected and the VLAN in the guest works just fine.

In macOS Ventura with VirtualBox 7.0.0 Beta3 there is no connectivity for the VLAN within the OL8 guest. I don't know if this is a VBox 7 issue or a macOS Ventura issue but it is quite an inconvenient issue.

What diagnostics can be performed to isolate the cause and, if it is VBox related, create a fix?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: REGRESSION: Guest VLANs on bridged adapters do not work in 7.0.0B3

Post by scottgus1 »

ChrisJenkins wrote:What diagnostics can be performed to isolate the cause
Try these:
ChrisJenkins wrote:In macOS Monterey with VirtualBox 6.1.38 7.0.0 Beta3
ChrisJenkins wrote:In macOS Ventura with VirtualBox 7.0.0 Beta3 6.1.38
ChrisJenkins
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux x64, Win 7 x64

Post by ChrisJenkins »

It's not feasible to run 6.1.38 on Ventura as the kexts are not permitted to load. There are ways around that, but it involves disabling secure startup etc. so not keen on doing that.

The system running Monterey and 6.1.38 is my production system, so I can't risk upgrading that to VBox 7.0.0 beta 3, especially given this potential issue.

Happy to gather actual diagnostic info, logs etc.
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Post by klaus »

The bridging support for macOS in 7.0 is brand new, and entirely macOS specific because Apple (along with ditching KEXTs entirely) forced us to use their 'vmnet' based bridging. This means that our testing of this code has years less coverage than the usual bridging support in VirtualBox. Right now can't rule out that the functionality provided by Apple doesn't provide VLAN tag passthrough support. The documentation is very sparse. Of course it could be entirely our fault for the same reason.