Windows 11 22H2: Guest additions cannot be installed

Temporary forum to discuss issues and problems during a VirtualBox Beta or Release Candidate phase.
birdie
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux, other Unixes

Windows 11 22H2: Guest additions cannot be installed

Post by birdie »

With VirtualBox 7.0 Beta 2 and 3 the display and other drivers can't be installed either automatically or manually in Windows 11 22H2.

Edited to reflect the current state.
Attachments
manual2.png
manual2.png (58.78 KiB) Viewed 20128 times
manual1.png
manual1.png (61.37 KiB) Viewed 20128 times
Last edited by birdie on 30. Sep 2022, 11:13, edited 1 time in total.
birdie

Re: Windows 11 build 22621: cannot install VBox Display Driver

Post by birdie »

Also this build of Windows 11 cannot change display resolution without drivers. As far as I remember it was possible earlier.
Attachments
screenshot.png
screenshot.png (45.79 KiB) Viewed 20124 times
birdie

Post by birdie »

Beta 2.0 guest additions are outright broken for Windows 11.

I've installed beta 1 additions just fine.
okcrum
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Windows, Solaris, OpenIndiana

Post by okcrum »

As a data point, Windows 11 build 22000 (latest .iso download from M$) does install BETA2 guest additions successfully.
Alberto789

Post by Alberto789 »

Win 11 22h2 now need signed drivers, an the ones included in beta2 aren't signed. Try to force via F7 (boot without sign check), was working on my side. I have 3D problems like other people, i will try Beta 3 tomorrow.
birdie

Post by birdie »

Alberto789 wrote:Win 11 22h2 now need signed drivers, an the ones included in beta2 aren't signed. Try to force via F7 (boot without sign check), was working on my side. I have 3D problems like other people, i will try Beta 3 tomorrow.
WHQL signed you mean?

VirtualBox drivers even their beta versions have always been signed if I'm not mistaken.
okcrum wrote:As a data point, Windows 11 build 22000 (latest .iso download from M$) does install BETA2 guest additions successfully.
VBox Beta 3, Windows 11 22H2 - nothing can be installed.
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Post by klaus »

In the mean time I investigated, and the root cause is that the wrong .cat files are installed. We provide separate files for Windows 10/11 and for older Windows versions. Currently the GA installer on my Windows 11 test VM is installing the .cat files for "older Windows versions".

This causes at the very least problems when Secure Boot is enabled (because just the .cat files intended for Windows 10/11 are attestation signed by Microsoft), and most likely also when it isn't enabled, because the driver trust in that case depends on installing the certificate which someone (fth0?) mentioned.

It is pretty easy to distinguish the .cat files: the ones for Windows 10/11 should have just a single signature by Microsoft, and the one for older Windows versions have two Oracle signatures.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

klaus wrote:This causes at the very least problems when Secure Boot is enabled (because just the .cat files intended for Windows 10/11 are attestation signed by Microsoft), and most likely also when it isn't enabled, because the driver trust in that case depends on installing the certificate which someone (fth0?) mentioned.
Yes, in Re: Beta 2: couldn't restore the saved state. we successfully used your special timestamping certificate to unknowingly compensate for the wrong .cat files. It was a good guess at least. ;)
Air Force One
Primary OS: MS Windows other
Guest OSses: Windows

Post by Air Force One »

I hate to spread the information between two threads, but let us talk about Beta 3 drivers installation here.
Good news: with idea of fth0, I could install them once again. I have to repeat the procedure, described in the other thread, because now we have not 3, but 5 certificates in the "cert" folder of CD.

First, the update from Beta 2 drivers to the ones of Beta 3 runs as update from Beta 1 to Beta2: the installer tells you, everything is OK and reboots, but after reboot one sees the old version. After installing of additional certificates, I managed to install the drivers with same result as in Beta 2: as soon as the new version of the video driver is loaded, user see garbage on the screen and after that the whole VBox crashes. I put the logs of botched installation and crash here.

Then I do the trick with uninstalling the old version first, as with Beta 2, but this time the VBox also crashes on unloading of the video driver. So I have to go to the safe mode this time to uninstall the additions.

After that, I managed to install the Beta 3 drivers. But after reboot, the video driver wasn't loaded, because it was still an old version. So I have to install it manually.

As of two sets of drivers, which should be here according to klaus: I took a look inside the installation file with 7-zip, and I really see that there are one set of files directly in the root of installation file and then there are different set in the "$0" folder, where those files are separated into the different folders for each device. But the files itself are the same in both sets. So probably we have some packaging problem here.
Attachments
VBox_logs_crash_after_driver_install_29092022.7z
Logs of crash after the loading of the video driver
(19.74 KiB) Downloaded 78 times
VBox_logs_guest_29092022.7z
Botched installation log
(18.7 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Re: Windows 11 2H2: Guest additions cannot be installed

Post by klaus »

Note that the recently added certificates in the "cert" folder are normally not needed. In normal Windows installs the DigiCert root certificates should be already trusted. They're just there "for good measure".

Anyway, on the original topic: we finally found the bug in our packaging logic which caused the incompletely signed drivers to be packaged. It was introduced shortly before BETA2, which means that BETA1 Guest Additions weren't affected.

If you want to test the fixed Guest Additions ISO for BETA3, please get the Development Snapshot Guest Additions ISO. 7.0.0 revision 153872 or later is fixed.

Using them is a little more tedious than usual guest additions mounting using the GUI. Just needs mounting it like any other ISO.
Air Force One
Primary OS: MS Windows other
Guest OSses: Windows

Post by Air Force One »

Thank you for an extra build. I could install the new additions over the previous ones from the original beta 3.

Then I uninstalled all 6 vbox certificates. After that, I try to uninstall the additions, which once again caused the crash of the guest VM. After the restart, it was possible to uninstall them without safe mode.
Then I installed the latest version of additions, which runs smooth. But after the restart, I still have had no video driver installed. So I have to install it manually, which also works this time.

So, at the end, it is better because it is properly signed. But we still have some problems with loading / unloading the video driver and video driver has to be installed manually, still.

And even if installed I see transparency in many places where it isn't supposed to be, see my other thread here.

Another problem that I see, is that the first time I can remember the additions is not backwards or forwards compatible. So if I run 6.1.x Vbox and guest with some Vbox 7 Beta additions, I only can see a black screen, which I already described. I see just the same with Vbox 7 and gust with current 6.1.38 additions.

It maybe a beta error, which would be fixed. Otherwise, one needs to describe the update path through the safe mode somewhere in documentation.
merced

Post by merced »

klaus wrote:If you want to test the fixed Guest Additions ISO for BETA3, please get the Development Snapshot Guest Additions ISO. 7.0.0 revision 153872 or later is fixed.
The Guest Additions ISO 153872 works fine for me.
BTW I found VirtualBox 153872 cannot be installed on Windows. The installer will rollback after an error.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

merced wrote:BTW I found VirtualBox 153872 cannot be installed on Windows. The installer will rollback after an error.
Did you install the timestamping CA certificate as indicated in VirtualBox test builds - Installing Windows test builds?
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Post by klaus »

I didn't recommend installing the Windows host package from the test builds... it isn't attestation signed which means it won't install on systems with UEFI Secure Boot enabled. Just stick to the officially released BETA3 on the host side and use the updated BETA3 Guest Additions ISO file. It's a tiny bit of extra thinking to manually mount the ISO and not rely on the menu item as usual.
merced

Post by merced »

fth0 wrote:Did you install the timestamping CA certificate as indicated in VirtualBox test builds - Installing Windows test builds?
Ooh... I have not installed that certificate.
Now I'd like to follow Klaus's advice and stick to the official BETA3 host package.