I'm game, any timeline for VB7 RC1?

Postings relating to old VirtualBox pre-releases
Tronmch2

I'm game, any timeline for VB7 RC1?

Post by Tronmch2 »

I'm using a host with multiple bitlocker-encrypted drives, so turning off secure boot becomes a major issue (entering the recovery key for every drive attached to the machine on every boot is a massive posterior pain). I'm also looking to set up test Windows 11 VM's using the GA, so TPM and secure boot INSIDE the VM are requirements as well.

Is there a timeline for a release candidate that will have signed drivers for the host and guest?

I know, this is a "cardinal user sin..." But eager minds want to know.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: I'm game, any timeline for VB7 RC1?

Post by scottgus1 »

Note to future posters, I thought about the 6.1.97 test builds as an answer here, but these require Secure Boot to be turned off, which is apparently not within Tronmch2's scope.

The devs don't reveal timelines publicly. May just have to wait for 7.0.0.
Tronmch2

Post by Tronmch2 »

scottgus1 wrote:Note to future posters, I thought about the 6.1.97 test builds as an answer here, but these require Secure Boot to be turned off, which is apparently not within Tronmch2's scope.

Will they announce an RC that can be used without killing secure boot? And since the guest extensions also require secure boot to be off, it's a little tricky to test anything with Windows 11 in a VM...
squall leonhart
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, 8, 10, Android x86

Post by squall leonhart »

scottgus1 wrote:Note to future posters, I thought about the 6.1.97 test builds as an answer here, but these require Secure Boot to be turned off, which is apparently not within Tronmch2's scope.

You don't need to turn secureboot off, the same registry dword that made windows 10 secureboot compatible with cross signed drivers works on 11.

I do have a concern with the Test builds guest additions though, by dual signing sha256 these drivers, they are incompatible with 7 guests, the vboxguest driver triggers a boot directly into startup repair while the mouse refuses to install.

Nvidia dropped their own Sha256 signature on windows 7 because they caused code 52, its just worse with Vbox because the vboxguest driver is a boot driver and bootloops when it can't load.

IIRC, this is due to a change in signtool in windows sdk 1803+
Code integrity determined that the image hash of a file is not valid. The file could be corrupt due to unauthorized modification or the invalid hash could indicate a potential disk device error. File Name: \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys
Microsoft tried to fix this with the September 2021 rollup, but every build since BSODS to a stack buffer overun in CI.dll when opening My Computer while the guest additions vboxguest driver is installed
BFeely

Post by BFeely »

You can turn off Secure Boot without triggering the BitLocker prompt, just pause protection before adjusting the settings. What happens is the TPM is checking the boot process for tampering, and if it doesn't match up with its saved parameters won't unlock the BitLocker key. Same will happen if you turn it back on.