OCI Export Instructions for 6.0 Beta

Postings relating to old VirtualBox pre-releases
MattMan

OCI Export Instructions for 6.0 Beta

Post by MattMan »

Noticed that VirtualBox 6.0 Beta2 has OCI Export capability and wanted to give it a spin.

I downloaded/viewed the distributed User Manual OCI Export support is mentioned as a major new feature, yet no instructions at all are provided in the doc itself (which I find quite bizarre).

This is in my opinion a killer cool feature, but some documentation on how to use/configure it would be really useful !

So I tried to give it a spin myself.

- Host OS: Oracle Linux 7.6
- Remove old VirtualBox install :
$ yum remove VirtualBox-5.2
- Download new 6.0 Beta rpm and installed :
$ rpm -i VirtualBox-6.0-6.0.0_BETA2_126642_el7-1.x86_64.rpm
- Run VirtualBox and created a new OL-7.5 guest

As I am inside company firewall, I had to configure Proxy to get to OCI servers.

Now for the fun part to export to OCI.
- On a machine with no local OCI profiles created, the new File menu option "Cloud Profile Manager" does not exist, nor does the Export format "Oracle Cloud Infrastructure".
You need to create a ~/.oci directory restart VirtualBox, then they appear which I would see as a bug.
- Once you got the Cloud Profile Manager menu option, I add a profile with information about my OCI account,
The UI for editing a profile is quite poor, you can't add properties to an already existing profile, which is bad.
Double click on property values is required to edit/enter values. And you must click outside the property field before the "apply" button becomes activated.
Clicking apply doesn't always save the values, either, I had to enter values a number of times and click apply a number of times before it worked.

- During export process last dialog before clicking Export :
- Shows all my OCI information correctly
- Defaults for first OCI Object Storage Bucket, and provides a list of all my Buckets from which I can choose one.
- Instance Shape (Shape of Instance), however is blank, and double clicking does not provide me with a list of shapes from which I could choose.
- I proceed with Export either way, and on final step (instance creation), it failed due to shape issue :
LaunchInstance: status 400
InvalidParameter: shape size must be between 1 and 255
Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: CloudClientWrap
Interface: ICloudClient {cb244d7b-3757-4fdd-976b-9b8a269da77c}
- I logged into my OCI account dashboard:
- VM disk ishas been successfully exported to by Object Storage Bucket
- Custom Image can also be seen in compartment showing list of custom images.
- Just creation of the VM failed due to not being able to select a shape, I can however manually create an instance from this image via OCI web dashboard.
So almost got there..

Another question as mentioned in another post, VBoxManage export option does not appear to have an OPC option, at least that I can see.
Should it ? is there a plan for it in the final release ? Personally I think it is vital.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: OCI Export Instructions for 6.0 Beta

Post by socratis »

Moving to the "VirtualBox Beta" area.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
stes

Post by stes »

"Clicking apply doesn't always save the values, either, I had to enter values a number of times and click apply a number of times before it worked."

I think the value is saved in .config/VirtualBox/oci_config despite the GUI apparently showing an empty field, the value is saved (but just not visible in the GUI).

> - Defaults for first OCI Object Storage Bucket, and provides a list of all my Buckets from which I can choose one.
> - Instance Shape (Shape of Instance), however is blank,

For me both pull-down menus Buckets and Shape are blank. Maybe something should be configured in OCI first ?
Matjaz

Post by Matjaz »

Can you please tell me where is .oci directory on Windows Host