usb device not recognized

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Solaris hosts.
alex1994

usb device not recognized

Post by alex1994 »

hi, im using virtualbox on solaris and i am virtualizing windows 10 but i cant connetc to the host the usb device (a pendrive)... not appear to connect to the host.
sorry my bad english im italian
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: usb device not recognized

Post by socratis »

Please read the following thread: USB basics and troubleshooting, all of the posts.

If you still have a problem after reading through the whole thing, please follow the advice of the last post, #8: Asking for help and post the information requested.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
alex1994

Post by alex1994 »

thanks
host: solaris 11.3
virtualbox version: VirtualBox-5.2.12-122591-SunOS
guest: windows 10 enterprise ltsb
i have installed extension pack and rebootbut does not work
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

You're welcome.
But that's not enough information.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
alex1994

Post by alex1994 »

what other information do you want
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I gave you a link, didn't I? Read it and take action on it...
alex1994

Post by alex1994 »

i read but not ave other information, i not understand can you help me?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Not without any more information. Read it again. And again...

And if you can't understand it, here are somethings that can help:
alex1994

Post by alex1994 »

I have read and reread, but I do not understand and then solaris is not mentioned. if it is not a disturbance for you, you could tell me what to do step by step
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

alex1994 wrote:you could tell me what to do step by step
For the love of bytes!!! Seriously now? Do you want me to repeat the freaking instructions? OK, fine!!! The following is a COPY/PASTE of what you are supposed to read:
#8: Asking for help

If you've tried everything so far, and you had no luck, maybe it's time to open a new thread. Please read the Minimum information needed for assistance. Use the complete version numbers (including the build numbers) to identify software:
  • What's your VirtualBox version? "The latest" is not enough, "VirtualBox 5.1.22 r115126" is much better.
  • What's your host and your guest version?
    • "OSX" isn't enough, "OSX 10.9.5 build 13f1911" is much better.
    • "Windows" isn't enough, "Win10 1607, build 14393.969" is much better.
    • "Linux" isn't enough, "Ubuntu 16.04, 4.4.0-59-generic #80-Ubuntu SMP" is much better.
Now, with the USB device plugged in and the VM not running, post the output of the following commands. Note that the 1st command applies to Windows hosts only, and the 2nd to Linux hosts only. It would be best if you unplugged any other unnecessary USB devices, for simplicity:
  • cd "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox"      <-- change it if not the default installation
    id                                           <-- For Linux hosts only
    VBoxManage -version
    VBoxManage list extpacks
    VBoxManage list usbhost
    VBoxManage list usbfilters
    VBoxManage showvminfo "<Your_Virtual_Machine_Name>"
Finally, a log from a cold_start / login / plug_USB / unplug_USB / complete_shutdown cycle:
  1. Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state).
  2. After you've logged in, plug the USB device. Wait (idling) for a minute or two. Unplug the USB device.
  3. Shutdown the VM (not paused or saved).
  4. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  5. Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
And yes. It *is* a disturbance if I have to repeat myself three times!!!