VirtualBox: Error -58 in supR3H

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Solaris hosts.
zebra

VirtualBox: Error -58 in supR3H

Post by zebra »

Hi there.

I'm running this build of solaris.

Code: Select all

SunOS hostNameHere 5.11 11.5.0.23.0 i86pc i386 i86pc
When I install any version of VirtualBox now, when I try to run...

Code: Select all

name@someHost:~$ VirtualBox 
VirtualBox: Error -58 in supR3HardenedMainInitRuntime!
VirtualBox: RTR3InitEx failed with rc=-58
VirtualBox: Tip! It may help to reinstall VirtualBox.
I am not sure how to resolve this. I've tried development builds also, such as:

VirtualBox-5.2.97-SunOS-amd64-r122866.pkg

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VirtualBox: Error -58 in supR3H

Post by socratis »

I don't run Solaris, but on OSX and Linux a message like that would mean one thing: wrong filesystem key permissions.

I would suggest to run a Solaris VM with the default options, the same version as the one running on your host, and compare it to your host. But since you can't even run VirtualBox, that wouldn't be solid advice... ;)

What I can do for you is to run a Solaris VM on my system, and send you the output of "ls -alRd /" so that you can compare your system to a "virgin" one. So, what version of Solaris am I seeing here? It can't be 11.5, is it? Can you confirm? And if you have an installer ISO link, that would help as well.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
zebra

Post by zebra »

Hi.

Unfortunately, I can't disclose the nature of this Solaris built (maybe you understand now, based upon that statement) and I cannot send you an ISO of it [maybe that helps to further understand...].

I thought it might be something simple...but...I might have to take another avenue to fix this, perhaps...
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

I understand. If this is a new installation, then maybe VirtualBox needs to adjust its hardening checks, due to the differences introduced between what you have and what VirtualBox supports.

If you have access to another computer which can actually run VirtualBox, do a fresh install of your ISO and compare the permissions. If they match, see the previous statement.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
zebra

Post by zebra »

socratis wrote:If you have access to another computer which can actually run VirtualBox, do a fresh install of your ISO and compare the permissions. If they match, see the previous statement.
That's a good idea. I might just do that.