Solaris 10 1/13 fails to start findroot multiboot error 15 file not found

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Solaris hosts.
komix

Solaris 10 1/13 fails to start findroot multiboot error 15 file not found

Post by komix »

Hi all,

After working happily with this vm, now it cannot start. I'm attaching a screenshot of the fault, and of its vm config.

I had a shared folder configured (host windows 10), i removed it -- no luck.

I had a peek in the VM log -- nothing obvious.

I might have added other VMs between the last time i "worked happily" on it and its failure, but i cannot check its ip etc, its mac address seems to be unique.

Thank you in advance.
Attachments
vm-sol-conf.png
vm-sol-conf.png (38.02 KiB) Viewed 25998 times
vm-sol-error15.png
vm-sol-error15.png (9.33 KiB) Viewed 25998 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Solaris 10 1/13 fails to start findroot multiboot error 15 file not found

Post by socratis »

The config screen capture, "captures" only a part of the actual configuration. So, in order for us to see the whole configuration, we're going to need a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run:
  • Gathering the necessary information:
    1. Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state).
    2. Observe the error, i.e. crash/hang?
    3. Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
But from the looks of it (the screenshot where the VM hangs), this isn't a VirtualBox error, there's something wrong with your guest. And just because there's something wrong with your guest, it doesn't make it a VirtualBox error...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
komix

Post by komix »

Thank you socratis, see attached vbox.log.
Attachments
Solaris10_1-13_64bit-2018-05-05-16-24-29.zip
(22.14 KiB) Downloaded 125 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

00:00:02.184710 [/Devices/piix3ide/0/Config/] (level 4)
The default template calls for a SATA controller, not an IDE one. But I'd like to believe that Solaris could/should handle it. I don't know for sure. Plus, you don't have any CD Drive! (?)
00:00:02.184777 VRamSize <integer> = 0x0000000000c00000 (12 582 912, 12 MB)
Same for the VRAM, the default is 16 MB. Which seems low as well, I'd take it to 64 or even 128 MB.

But those are generic comments about the VM configuration, not related (most probably) to what you're seeing...

Just because an OS/program that runs in the context of VirtualBox has a problem, it doesn't make it a VirtualBox problem necessarily. You're having an issue that has most probably nothing to do with VirtualBox, so my suggestion would be to treat it as such, as a native problem with the OS or the application of the guest.

For example, a quick search for "solaris loading /platform/i86pc/multiboot file not found" had this as it first hit, which looks almost identical to what you're seeing, I bet there are others: https://community.oracle.com/thread/3681716
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.