VirtualBox 5.2.4 errors when creating fix sized disks for VM

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Solaris hosts.
buxton

VirtualBox 5.2.4 errors when creating fix sized disks for VM

Post by buxton »

After successfully installing VirtualBox 5.2.4 on OpenIndiana based on illumos-94ddd0900a I have been able to run all my existing VB without any issue.

However, when I attempt to create a new VM and attempt to create a new fixed sized Virtual Disk vdi (however tested with object types vdi, vhd, vmdk, hdd, qcow, qed ) object I get the message "Failed to create the hard disk storage /home/buxton/VirtualBox VMs/test/test.vdi" expanding the details gives the information below
"Could not create the medium storage unit '/home/buxton/VirtualBox VMs/test/test.vdi'.
VDI: setting image size failed for '/home/buxton/VirtualBox VMs/test/test.vdi' (VERR_INVALID_PARAMETER).

Result Code: VBOX_E_FILE_ERROR (0x80BB0004)
Component: MediumWrap
Interface: IMedium {4afe423b-43e0-e9d0-82e8-ceb307940dda}"
If I create a new disk but select Dynamically allocated it will work with any hard disk file type.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: VirtualBox 5.2.4 errors when creating fix sized disks for VM

Post by mpack »

buxton wrote:However, when I ... attempt to create a new fixed sized Virtual Disk
Why would you do such a thing?

I won't comment on the command you typed since you haven't told us what it was.
buxton

Post by buxton »

When creating a new VB instance, I use the VirtualBox GUI interface and selected New and then followed the wizard.

As to why I created Fixed Sized Disks, my vms are created for specific purposes and are sized appropriately for the purpose. A benefit of fixed sized drives is that I must perform proper housekeeping on the VMs, which helps with perform as they do not suffer from bloatware.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

buxton wrote:A benefit of fixed sized drives is that I must perform proper housekeeping on the VMs, which helps with perform as they do not suffer from bloatware.
That doesn't really make sense. What you seem to be saying is that by making the capacity small, you are forced to maintain a certain discipline regarding disk fill levels. I agree that being aware of your disk usage is a good thing, but the capacity of the disk is the same, regardless of whether you make it fixed or dynamic.

Returning to your original question, if you are creating the disk using the VM creation wizard then I don't understand how the error mentioned could occur. The only possibilities that spring to mind are (a) the fixed size selected is greater than the host space available, or (b) there is some Solaris host special limitation on the file location or size.