Networking on a couple of solaris boxes

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Solaris hosts.
Picolin

Networking on a couple of solaris boxes

Post by Picolin »

Hello, I have donwloaded an Oracle Solaris 11.3 VM template for virtualbox, but I am having weird issues with the internet. All I need is to be able to setup 2-3 Solaris VM's with access to the outside internet + being able to access them via ssh from the hosting computer (my local machine). However, this task is killing me and I've spent too much time on this without any advancement.

One of the weird thing is, a Solaris VM has a NAT network configuration (with 10.0.2.15 for IP) and if I open the broser on the VM (Solaris with the GUI) I can get to any website (i.e. google) but if I ping google from the command line, I do not get a response, I just get the "no answer". Is this even normal? Also, how can I configure them with DHCP (for the moment) so I can at least access them via ssh? or is it that any VM will create the same IP 10.0.2.15?

Any help will be much much appreciated!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Networking on a couple of solaris boxes

Post by socratis »

I'll use a slightly paraphrased short description of the network modes:
scottgus1 wrote:
  • NAT and NAT Service are like the network routers you use to separate your house network from the internet. NAT gives each guest its own "router" so to speak, so each guest is separated from the others and the host. NAT service allows more than one guest to attach to the "router" and be in their own private network together. Internet connection is possible. IP is fixed, although it should be set to DHCP in the guest.
  • Bridged puts each guest on the host's physical network, and the guests looks to the physical network just like other new PCs on the network. You'll need a home/office router that acts as a DHCP server as well. Traffic between all guests and PCs and the internet is possible. IP courtesy of your DHCP server.
  • Internal is a private network between the guests connected to it. You can have more than one internal network by giving new names to your new internal networks. You assign the guests to the internal network using the network's name. Internet connection is NOT possible.
  • Host-only is an internal network that also includes the host. More than one guest can be attached to one host-only network. Internet connection is NOT possible.
For more information and details, see: Chapter 6. Virtual networking.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Picolin

Post by Picolin »

I really read this...and Im still having issues. Whichever I try, I cannot have the full functionality. As I mentioned on the post, I can get to the internet with the guest browser but not ping the same site. I also cannot access it via ssh from my local machine
Picolin

Post by Picolin »

This is what I mean:
wut
wut
wut.PNG (71.4 KiB) Viewed 10172 times
[img]wut[/img]
Ramshankar
Oracle Corporation

Post by Ramshankar »

Please post VBox.log for your VM in question.
Oracle Corp.
Picolin

Post by Picolin »

Ramshankar wrote:Please post VBox.log for your VM in question.
The log can be accessed here: pastebin(dotcom)/xUXGX7Qu
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Please zip and attach the file here, not on a third party site. See the "Upload attachment" at the bottom of the reply form. Thanks.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Picolin

Post by Picolin »

Attached
VBox.log
(85.28 KiB) Downloaded 72 times