No Sound in Windows 10 Guest on Solaris 11.3 host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Solaris hosts.
StefanHinker

No Sound in Windows 10 Guest on Solaris 11.3 host

Post by StefanHinker »

Hi All,

I've been running a Windows 7 Pro guest on a Solaris 11 host for quite a while without issue. Even video playback and sound worked well.
Then I updated the guest from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Sound stopped working.
I've played with various parameters - changing the Solaris host sound subsystem (Solaris, Null and OSS host drivers), changing the guest audio controller (Intel, ICH and Soundblaster), but without success. I'm now running with what used to work: Solaris Audio + Intel HD. But it's not working.
Sound on the host works just fine...

Version details:
Solaris 11.3 SRU 8.7
VirtualBox 5.0.16.
Guest Additions: 5.0.16.
Windows: Win 10 Pro 64bit.

I have seen various posts about sound issues, but none are reasonably recent, so I thought I'd bring this up again.

Any idea ?

thanks
stefan
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: No Sound in Windows 10 Guest on Solaris 11.3 host

Post by socratis »

Not on a Solaris host, but the two most common Windows guests sound problems can be solved by either:
- Changing the Volume control slider in the guest, or
- Going to the device manager on the guest and see if there are any problems with the sound device, maybe even re-install/update the driver.

Other than that, please read the following: Minimum information needed for assistance.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
StefanHinker

Re: No Sound in Windows 10 Guest on Solaris 11.3 host

Post by StefanHinker »

Thanks for the response. You made me look at the logs, which gave me a few things to check. I'll be back.

regards,
stefan