guest vm won't start because it cannot access host DVD

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Solaris hosts.
baataboom

guest vm won't start because it cannot access host DVD

Post by baataboom »

Host OS: Solaris 11.2
Guest: Oracle Linux 6.4
Error: Cannot open host device '/devices/pci@0,0/pck1458,b005@1f,2/cdrom@0,0:c,raw' for readonly access. Check the permissions of that device (VERR_ACCESS_DENIED).

The above installed fine and was running for days. I was able to access the DVD from the guest vm during that time. However after restarting the host OS, the guest will not start because it cannot access the host DVD.

There is a symlink /dev/rdsk/c3t0d0s2 that points to the above device. And the drive is available to the host user that tries to start the guest Linux vm. I've confirmed that this host is using the above symlink to access the DVD.

Based on messages elsewhere I've tried chmod'ing the target device (chmod a+r ) but that did not help.

I've also cloned the VM and removed the DVD from it's config and the clone starts up normally. Afterward I tried to add the DVD back to the cloned VM but it only offered the IDE and SATA controllers. No physical DVD was available via either controller. (Instead it offered a chance to setup a virtual device under each controller). Yet

VboxManage list hostdvds
shows
UUID: 00445644-7364-2f6b-6333-743064307332
Name: /dev/rdsk/c3t0d0s2

I'm seeking suggestions on how to regain use of the Solaris host DVD in the guest Linux vm.

Thanks,
Mark
baataboom

Re: guest vm won't start because it cannot access host DVD

Post by baataboom »

Well, when I inserted a DVD before booting the host OS (Solaris 11.2), the guest OS (Oralce Linux 6.4) was able to find the DVD. In fact the guest OS boot order caused it to try to boot the original install media that was present. After removing the media I was able to boot the guest OS and all was well.

When I have time, I'll go back and run a series of tests to perhaps understand why this was successful. I'll report whatever I learn from this.

Mark