Unable to install extension pack on Solaris 11.1 or 11.2

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Solaris hosts.
Rinaldo

Unable to install extension pack on Solaris 11.1 or 11.2

Post by Rinaldo »

I tried to install the extension pack in 4 different configurations.

Solaris 11.1/11.2 with and without installation in the global zone

I get the following error for cleanup, a similar error occurs for the actual install.

Syntax error: Unknown command "clean"
scaaa602:VBoxManage extpack cleanup
VBoxManage: error: The installer failed with exit code 1: VBoxExtPackHelperApp: error: The group is not a system group and it has write access to '/opt'
VBoxManage: error: Details: code NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005), component ExtPackManager, interface IExtPackManager, callee nsISupports
VBoxManage: error: Context: "Cleanup()" at line 1192 of file VBoxManageMisc.cpp

Is there a known workaround. I have not rebooted, was not told to reboot. There were no errors in the installation script. The error message above is also poor, which group? Is it saying that because it has write access it can't work. Is this a security issue?
Ramshankar
Oracle Corporation

Re: Unable to install extension pack on Solaris 11.1 or 11.2

Post by Ramshankar »

Could you post the exact command you used for installing the ext-pack?
Oracle Corp.
Rinaldo

Post by Rinaldo »

Thanks for looking at this.

root@scaaa602:~# VBoxManage --version
4.3.16r95972
root@scaaa602:~# uname -a
SunOS scaaa602 5.11 11.2 i86pc i386 i86pc
root@scaaa602:~# VBoxManage extpack install Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.3.16-95972.vbox-extpack
0%...
Progress state: NS_ERROR_FAILURE
VBoxManage: error: Failed to install "/root/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.3.16-95972.vbox-extpack"
VBoxManage: error: The installer failed with exit code 1: VBoxExtPackHelperApp: error: The group is not a system group and it has write access to '/opt'
VBoxManage: error: Details: code NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005), component ExtPackManager, interface IExtPackManager
VBoxManage: error: Context: "int handleExtPack(HandlerArg*)" at line 1143 of file VBoxManageMisc.cpp
Rinaldo

Post by Rinaldo »

Extension packs seem to be difficlult to install. I am running out of options and unable to figure it out with truss. Maybe I need to look at the source code.

I have a vbox user account, VirtualBox 4.3.16 is installed. I have made a vm or two using phpvirtualbox. In order to use it remotely I need to install the extension pack. I moved to linux hoping to not have to resolve the issues above and it seems that the problem has moved. When I execute the following command I get the following.

[vbox@scaaa542 ~]$ VBoxManage extpack install Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.3.16-95972.vbox-extpack
0%...
Progress state: NS_ERROR_FAILURE
VBoxManage: error: Failed to install "/export/home/vbox/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.3.16-95972.vbox-extpack"
VBoxManage: error: Extension pack 'Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack' is already installed. In case of a reinstallation, please uninstall it first
VBoxManage: error: Details: code NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005), component ExtPackManager, interface IExtPackManager
VBoxManage: error: Context: "int handleExtPack(HandlerArg*)" at line 1143 of file VBoxManageMisc.cpp

for

Default machine folder: /export/home/vbox/VirtualBox VMs

I had installed a previous version of virtualbox for another user. I am not pointing to that other installation, yet the install of the extension pack has memory of it. I have restarted the services. I have looked for the files in the path that store local config information.

Summary

1) Install of extension pack doesn't work on Solaris 11.1 and 11.2
2) Install and uninstall don't work for systems with two different roots for VirtualBox Install works on Oracle Linux, but there are path issues
3) Setting the VM home directory doesn't interact well with previous state on the system

Thanks
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

Rinaldo wrote:Extension packs seem to be difficlult to install.
Actually, you seem to be using some quite unusual setup, so why not tell us what it is? Lots of people have no trouble installing the Extension Pack on Solaris.

The error message ("The group is not a system group and it has write access to '/opt'") refers to the group owning the /opt directory. Since VirtualBox needs to run with high privileges, it refuses to install if it finds that /opt (the VirtualBox installation directory) is writable by an unprivileged group (which could then subvert/exploit VirtualBox).
I had installed a previous version of virtualbox for another user.
You can't have two different versions of VirtualBox installed at the same time on a single machine. The Extension Pack is effectively part of the VirtualBox install, with the same restriction.
Rinaldo

Post by Rinaldo »

Ok your comment clears it up, I would have worded it differently. "The /opt directory is writeable by a non privileged group. Restrict write access." I understand it now.

Thanks for the help.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

Yes, the error message is a bit cryptic, sorry for that. We now changed it to be clearer.
Rinaldo

Post by Rinaldo »

Thank you.
z hopa

Post by z hopa »

Having a similar problem but with a vanilla Solaris 11.3 and vanilla VB 5.2.12.
Failed to install the Extension Pack /export/home/use0/Downloads/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-5.2.12.vbox-extpack.

The installer failed with exit code 255: .

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: ExtPackManagerWrap
Interface: IExtPackManager {edba9d10-45d8-b440-1712-46ac0c9bc4c5}
What is missing?
sksharma

Post by sksharma »

Thanks for sharing.