Ubuntu slow?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Solaris hosts.
Brutalizer

Ubuntu slow?

Post by Brutalizer »

I have Solaris 11.2 and Supermicro X10SAT and VB v4.3.10 and Ubuntu LTS 14.04 is a bit slow. Earlier I tested Ubuntu some year ago, and it was slow too. When I type something, it lags, when I login the desktop shows slowly, etc. I havent tried any other distro.

Anyone else experience this slowness? I have installed guest addons.
Brutalizer

PROBLEM SOLVED

Post by Brutalizer »

Ok, I have installed gnome via Ubuntu Software Center, and then installed "gnome flashback". Upon login I can choose which windows manager I want, and when I choose "Gnome Metacity" I get the 2D version and suddenly everything is fast. No more slowness problems. The "Gnome Compiz" windows manager is 3D - I havent tried to see if the 3D version is fast, but 2D is fast and works fine. Got finally rid of Unity, good riddance.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Ubuntu slow?

Post by Perryg »

The cinnamon desktop seems to be the balance between eye candy and speed when it comes to Ubuntu. Or you can switch to Mint (built from Ubuntu) and have it all.
In all cases though you need the guest additions installed because 3D is software rendered in Ubuntu if you don't have them installed and it really .. really slow.