Cannot create/add/remove hard drive from settings menu

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Solaris hosts.
greatme

Cannot create/add/remove hard drive from settings menu

Post by greatme »

I am running Virtual Box 4.3.6 on a Solaris 11 operating System. I have created a Virtual machine with the Solaris 11 operating system. The "add and remove" icons for the hard drive under "Settings -> Storage" are greyed out. Any idea why? I didn't do anything special installing the Virtual Box.
I could create another virtual hard drive using the Command line prompts and add it to the Virtual Machine, but that hard drive isn't visible to the Guest operating System.
Thanks
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Cannot create/add/remove hard drive from settings menu

Post by socratis »

Was your virtual guest still running or was it properly shut-down?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
greatme

Post by greatme »

It was still running at the time. I've tried to change it on a Virtual Guest in a "Saved State" and still had the icons grayed out. I can't use the command line to add a hard drive to a Virtual Guest in a "Saved State" , when I try I get a response "error: The machine is not mutable ( state is Saved)"
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

VMs must be shut down (not just suspended) before you can make significant changes to the recipe.
greatme

Post by greatme »

Thank you. I shut down the Virtual Guest with "Power off" and then the icons showed up. I was able to add my previously create hard disk, and it showed up on the operating system of the Virtual Guest without any problems.