Stability problem when VIrtualBox started with headless VM's

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Solaris hosts.
ToddG

Stability problem when VIrtualBox started with headless VM's

Post by ToddG »

I've noticed some very horrible behavior by the VirtualBox application if it is started after VM's that are registered to it, are started as headless from the command line. Generally speaking I've experienced hangs of the console, loss of configuration (groups completely lost from the config in the 4.2.16 being the latest hi-jinx).

I'm on solaris 11.1 x64 and am running 4.2.16. But this has been going on for a while. I'm making sure to start the VirtualBox application as the same user that starts the VM's (root in this case)... but still end up in a bad place when the VirtualBox GUI decides to lock up every second or third time.

Is this bad practice? Should I never be starting the VIrtualBox GUI if a managed VM was started from the VBoxHeadless command line is running?
noteirak
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Debian, Win 2k8, Win 7

Re: Stability problem when VIrtualBox started with headless

Post by noteirak »

Never heard of such problems before. It deosn't seem you're doing something wrong, except for using root. But that wouldn't explain your issues.
Using the GUI and headless will not cause any issue, they are only frontends and both are using the API to communicate.

You should run your VMs under a normal account and I would suggest you put some monitoring in place to check the perfs of your hardware. Seems like your host has some issues to cope with something, the question is to know what.
Hyperbox - Virtual Infrastructure Manager - https://apps.kamax.lu/hyperbox/
Manage your VirtualBox infrastructure the free way!
ToddG

Re: Stability problem when VIrtualBox started with headless

Post by ToddG »

There is some kind of issue I need to work out with solaris 11 accounts as roles... root is not an account but a role on here. There was issue attaching to devices as non-root. I need to poke around more with that.