Missing Icon on Menu and shortcuts...

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Solaris hosts.
Guyver
Primary OS: Solaris
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 7

Missing Icon on Menu and shortcuts...

Post by Guyver »

Anyone else?

Completely re-installed Solaris 11, re-loaded virtualbox - no Icon on the Applications, System Tools, App Menu, nor when I make a launcher panel or desktop shortcut.

Am I missing something simple?

Program is listed, just no icon...

I get an "X" box graphic on the panel.
martyscholes
Guest OSses: Win 7, Ubuntu, Win XP, Vista, Win 8, Mint, Pear, Several Linux Virtual Appliances

Re: Missing Icon on Menu and shortcuts...

Post by martyscholes »

Me too, but I never really thought about it...
Guyver

Post by Guyver »

Same - been quite a few versions - possibly started with the 4.x line - but may have been in the 3.x line when it disappeared...
martyscholes
Guest OSses: Win 7, Ubuntu, Win XP, Vista, Win 8, Mint, Pear, Several Linux Virtual Appliances

Post by martyscholes »

From what I gather, the menu item is located in /usr/share/applications/virtualbox.desktop which has the line:

Icon=virtualbox

So gnome looks for an image file virtualbox.* but never finds one. Luckily, there is a similar file called virtualbox-vbox.png which is kind of close. Just change that line to read:

Icon=virtualbox-vbox

And everything magically works. I know it is the wrong icon and it will likely get stomped on an upgrade, but it works for now.

I wonder if Linux has this same problem?
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Linux did for a while. Turned out that a mime type error. Not sure where you set that on Solaris as I don't use it enough to be enlightened.
martyscholes

Post by martyscholes »

Got it.

Your post about an older version had me disassemble a 3.1.0 package via pkgtrans. The older file has:

Icon=VBox.png

Indeed, there is such a file at /usr/share/pixmaps/VBox.png. just change /usr/share/applications/virtualbox.desktop to have the Icon=VBox.png and all is well.

Wonder why they changed that...
Ramshankar
Oracle Corporation

Post by Ramshankar »

We added mime-type support sometime earlier probably this change is a result of that, will fix it.
Oracle Corp.
martyscholes

Post by martyscholes »

Ramshankar wrote:We added mime-type support sometime earlier probably this change is a result of that, will fix it.
Very cool. Thanks.
Guyver

Post by Guyver »

That did the trick of course...

Thanks

Been a nuisance, but was initially reluctant to bring it up as there are always more important things..
Guyver

Post by Guyver »

Fix didn't make it into 4.1.18 - perhaps 4.1.20 :)
Ramshankar
Oracle Corporation

Post by Ramshankar »

Guyver wrote:Been a nuisance, but was initially reluctant to bring it up as there are always more important things..
For us, even a redundant empty line/space/tab in the source code which has no functional effect is something that can be corrected. So real, functional problems, no matter how tiny, we would definitely like to hear about it.

I haven't looked into this fix yet, was occupied with some other tasks, will look into this on Monday/Tuesday for sure.
Oracle Corp.
Ramshankar
Oracle Corporation

Post by Ramshankar »

Guyver wrote:Fix didn't make it into 4.1.18 - perhaps 4.1.20 :)
Committed to 4.1.x, so yes should be available in the next 4.1.x release. Thanks for the report.
Oracle Corp.
Guyver

Post by Guyver »

Thank you for the quick fix and integration.
dgm123

Post by dgm123 »

This is still happening for me on OpenSuse 12.3, Virtualbox version 4.2.6_OSE r82870

Completely fresh install.

I tried changing the config file /usr/share/applications/virtualbox.desktop to say:
Icon=virtualbox-vbox
AND
Icon=VBox.png

But neither worked. I tried restarting KDE. Any thoughts? It's been happening for awhile. Usually I add it to the panel, then set the icon again (right click "icon settings" then click the blank image, find the virtualbox icon and add it), however after I click down on the accept button (without releasing), the icon disappears from the window again. When clicking on the blank image, I see the icon flash then disappear. What the heck?

I've just updated the icon to point to the VBoxgtk icon, which works fine, suggesting the issue lies with the icon itself. Posted a bug ticket number 11691. (would post a link but I can't since I'm a new member)

Thanks

Dgm
Ramshankar
Oracle Corporation

Post by Ramshankar »

dgm123 wrote:This is still happening for me on OpenSuse 12.3, Virtualbox version 4.2.6_OSE r82870
But neither worked. I tried restarting KDE. Any thoughts? It's been happening for awhil

Dgm
This thread is related to Solaris hosts (which typically means only Gnome), so you're probably better off asking in the Linux section and more likely to find help.
Oracle Corp.