Setup VB & S11 to accept inbound X11 client

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Solaris hosts.
Kilted

Re: Setup VB & S11 to accept inbound X11 client

Post by Kilted »

There is one more step I found, enable Xserver to accept inbound connection requests.

https://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread ... ID=2359739

Step 2

Configure X-Server to accept remote connections.
# svccfg -s application/x11/x11-server
svc:/application/x11/x11-server> setprop options/tcp_listen = boolean: true
svc:/application/x11/x11-server> end
Guyver
Primary OS: Solaris
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 7

Post by Guyver »

My apologies on the question about the shell... I typically only use ksh rather than bash or any other...
Kilted

Post by Kilted »

Guyver wrote:My apologies on the question about the shell... I typically only use ksh rather than bash or any other...
Thank you. Yesterday I had lot of work to do on half dozen S10 systems that were in various configurations and I was able to re-direct any required windows from my account or from root. Some of these systems do not have sudo installed and needed to use the standard 'setenv DISPLAY myS11client:0.0' and all went well. I'm a happy camper.

For the next soul who stumbles into the thread depending on your remote systems, I tested on Rh-Linux 6, CentOS 5.7, Solaris 9, 10, 11 and some combination always worked.

Thank you
-- Brandy
Guyver
Primary OS: Solaris
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 7

Post by Guyver »

The other thing I forgot to mention, and this might be of some use to you, is Xvnc. It's worth looking at as it allows you to run an X session that is static. You can attach to it using a standard vnc client, detach from it, and the windows you have up will remain running (TMOUT will of course end sessions if set).

If you dig a bit, you can find walk-throughs for setting it up. Or I can try and dig for one.