Multiple Head Units on a Domain

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Solaris hosts.
meyerde

Multiple Head Units on a Domain

Post by meyerde »

I seem to have a problem attempting to use a RDP connection

What I have done
Built the VM on the Solaris system and validated it works properly with multiple monitors from the console
VBoxManage modifyvm WIN7 --monitorcount 2
VBoxManage modifyvm WIN7 --vrdemulticon on
VBoxHeadless --startvm WIN7 --type vrdp

RDP connects to the VM with no problems (one monitor) and I can log in
When using any RDP program that I can find I enter username then the @2 for the Domain

Windows 7 then "assumes" that a user called @2 is attempting to log in (which will fail attempting to connect to the domain)
When I try entering the domain\username followed by the password on the W7 unit it fails as well

When launching the VirtuialBox console I have Authentication method in Remote display as null and Enable server. While I have found some docs that say I should be attempting to connect to the Solaris system IP address as returned in the ifconfig -a command followed by the portnumber in RDP I have yet to be able to make that work

I am currently running 4.1.12 r77245

Can someone please help?

Thanks
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Multiple Head Units on a Domain

Post by Perryg »

Using the host IP and the guest port you would need to make sure that you have installed the extension pack.
How to install Extension Pack
meyerde

Post by meyerde »

Perryg wrote:Using the host IP and the guest port you would need to make sure that you have installed the extension pack.
How to install Extension Pack
This has been done.. sorry for not stating that... As without it you can not get multiple monitors to display on the console level (one will show items the other will just be a black screen)
martyscholes
Primary OS: Solaris
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win 7, Ubuntu, Win XP, Vista, Win 8, Mint, Pear, Several Linux Virtual Appliances

Post by martyscholes »

I am not sure if you managed to get this working.

Let me make sure I understand.
* You have a Solaris machine running VirtualBox
* On the VirtualBox instance you have a Windows 7 instance with two monitors
* RDP server is enabled at the VirtualBox level of the Windows 7 instance
* The Windows 7 instance is in bridge mode using the same adapter as the Solaris machine

When you connect to the Windows 7 instance connect from ??? (another Windows machine? A Mac? Linux? Another Solaris machine?), you connect fine to the first "monitor" of the Windows 7 machine. Is that correct? What command line do you use to connect?

When you connect to the Windows 7 instance from ??? using client software ??? running on operating system ??? you put in "@2 for the domain" and then Windows 7 assumes that a user called @2 is attempting to log in. Is that correct?

Apologies, but I cannot find a context for the phrase "@2 for the domain" anywhere in the VB manuals. Is that something you put on the command line of the RDP client? What kind of domain is it? DNS domain? Active Directory domain? Something else?

The first thing I noticed in your post is that if you are using bridged mode, then you are riding on the Solaris network stack and probably competing with it. The VirtualBox RDP server uses the NIC of the Solaris instance (which is rather annoying, in my humble opinion). Since you have Solaris as the host, you can slice out virtual NICs with ease. I would first start by giving the Windows 7 instance its own VNIC and then using the Windows 7 RDP server. Failing that, I suspect you can force VirtualBox to use a particular NIC. Failing that, you can put the VirtualBox instance into its own zone and ensure it uses a particular NIC.

Another thing I noticed is that some posts suggest doing something with the RDP port numbers. I'm not sure what that's all about, but it may help.

Let us know what you learn.

Cheers,
Marty