Has anyone gotten vboxvnic_template0 to work?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Solaris hosts.
Ramshankar
Oracle Corporation

Re: Has anyone gotten vboxvnic_template0 to work?

Post by Ramshankar »

I believe the bug in Solaris 11 to not directly use aggregate links with VirtualBox was fixed in Solaris 11u1 build 17. Which version of Solaris 11 are you using? pkg info kernel and uname -a output please.

Also, if the guest network connectivity is intermittent, not sure if that fix in Solaris solves the connectivity issue. It might need more investigation.
Oracle Corp.
martyscholes
Primary OS: Solaris
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win 7, Ubuntu, Win XP, Vista, Win 8, Mint, Pear, Several Linux Virtual Appliances

Post by martyscholes »

I appreciate your help.

Code: Select all

bash-4.1$ pkg info kernel
          Name: system/kernel
       Summary: Core Kernel
   Description: Core operating system kernel, device drivers and other modules.
      Category: System/Core
         State: Installed
     Publisher: solaris
       Version: 0.5.11
 Build Release: 5.11
        Branch: 0.175.1.0.0.24.2
Packaging Date: September 19, 2012 06:50:11 PM 
          Size: 32.59 MB
          FMRI: pkg://solaris/system/kernel@0.5.11,5.11-0.175.1.0.0.24.2:20120919T185011Z
bash-4.1$ uname -a
SunOS dl585 5.11 11.1 i86pc i386 i86pc
If there is anything I can do, please let me know.

Many thanks,
Marty
Ramshankar
Oracle Corporation

Post by Ramshankar »

Yes, I think that version should include the fix to using the aggregate interface directly. If you have bugs with intermittent guest network connections it's probably something else and not related to this particular bug fix.

You'll probably have to describe your problem more in detail but if you're using a complicated setup I might not be able to offer much help unless I get time to reproducing it here and seeing how it works or where the problem is.
Oracle Corp.
martyscholes
Primary OS: Solaris
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win 7, Ubuntu, Win XP, Vista, Win 8, Mint, Pear, Several Linux Virtual Appliances

Post by martyscholes »

Thanks for the response. When I posted the question I was running 4.1.22. I did not spend much time investigating the issue, but when I bridged some VMs to the aggregate some applications in Windows 7 and some in Ubuntu lacked access to the network. While I did not take notes, I recall that a Metagenerator (a Windows application) could not contact any servers. I seem to recall that web browsers also complained of no internet connection but a simple ping did work. I did not investigate further but did ask the question if this was fixed.

I have since upgraded to 4.2.4 and I just now bridged Mint and Windows 7 to the aggregate and they both appear to be functioning fully. Many thanks for all of your help. I will be migrating off of dedicated Crossbow VNICs.

Thanks again,
Marty