USB problem between Solaris11 Host & Windows7 Guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Solaris hosts.
Ramshankar
Oracle Corporation

Re: USB problem between Solaris11 Host & Windows7 Guest

Post by Ramshankar »

meyerde wrote:Very close to the same issue... Though this time with a Android based phone...

VB 4.1.12 r77245
All packs/extensions installed

This is on 5.10 Generic 139556-08 i86pc i386 i386pc I know it is older but seeing that someone just loaded 11 with all the up to date patches and it doesnt work

Seeing the date of the thread I thought ok.. maybe this has not made it into the new release so I will try it.. What I found was weird

rem_drv vboxusb (Not installed) -- Ok.. well lets install it
Followed the rest of the instructions - Said it installed
modinfo | grep vbox

I had nothing that said usb in it just

vboxnet, vboxdrv,vboxflt,vboxflt (yes two vboxflt)

If I try the add_drv vboxusb again it says it is already installed... Just for giggles I did a touch /reconfigure and rebooted nothing changed...

Any suggestions?
You need to reinstall VirtualBox and it will install the drivers for you if it detects your Solaris 11 version is capable of it. Post here output of "pkg info kernel", "cat /etc/release" and "uname -a" and maybe we can see why the USB drivers are not being loaded. In short, reinstall VirtualBox. VirtualBox's host USB passthrough is not supported on Solaris 10, only S11.
Oracle Corp.
Guyver
Primary OS: Solaris
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 7

Post by Guyver »

just looking in to see if there's been an update on this... doesn't look like it.
Updated to latest VBox rev (4.1.14) no change in issue...
Guyver

Post by Guyver »

Bumping back up... Any word on this yet?
Now testing a corporate Win 7 build as well - should know by sometime next week if the devices are working for me in Win7 or not - they still aren't working in Win XP SP3.
Ramshankar
Oracle Corporation

Post by Ramshankar »

No good news yet I'm afraid. I'll have to provide you with some test binaries built on newer S11, we've had far too many breakages recently with regards to binary compatibility on S10, S11 that upgrading the build box is further delayed because intrusive changes are needed to be backported to stable branches because the build box should be capable of building all (relevant) branches. I've only had time to fix up trunk and 4.1 branch. 4.0, 3.2, and possibly 3.1, 3.0 need fixing.
Oracle Corp.
windy

Post by windy »

I have upgraded to Solaris 11.1 and Virtualbox 4.2.6 and am getting the same problems with the USB interface These are the messages I am seeing

vboxdrv: [ID 351244 kern.notice] vboxusb:vboxUSBSolarisBulkXfer usb_pipe_bulk_xfer enmDir=0x2 Ep=0x1 failed! rc=-6

and the Windows guest cannot access the device. I tried to revert back to the usb driver mentioned earlier in the thread but I started getting kernel panics caused by the usb driver.

Can you tell if this problem is still being looked at ?
Guyver

Post by Guyver »

Bumping back up - hoping for some updates on this issue.
As previous message above, the issue with the Bulk Xfer is a problem (VirtualBox 4.2.12, Solaris 11.1.6.4.0 (11.1 SRU 6.4))

vboxdrv: [ID 854772 kern.notice] vboxusb:vboxUSBSolarisBulkXfer usb_pipe_bulk_xfer enmDir=0x1 Ep=0x82 failed! rc=-6