No Audio on multiple guests with Sun Ray

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Solaris hosts.
martyscholes
Primary OS: Solaris
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win 7, Ubuntu, Win XP, Vista, Win 8, Mint, Pear, Several Linux Virtual Appliances

No Audio on multiple guests with Sun Ray

Post by martyscholes »

Hello,

This only recently became an issue for me. I am running SRSS 5.2 on OpenSolaris 128a. Sun Ray thin clients have long had trouble sharing audio; the device is first-come-first-served. The first program to grab the device gets it and all others cannot make audio. The solution is to give each process its own audio device via an environment variable.

William Yang has a great workaround that works for everything except VirtualBox.

http://www.mail-archive.com/sunray-user ... 17297.html

The problem is that all virtual machines are children of VBoxSVC and share that single process' environment and therefore its audio device.

Is there some way to force VBoxSVC to get a different environment for each VM it launches? Is there some other approach to allow audio on multiple VMs?

Many thanks in advance.
kebabbert
Volunteer
Primary OS: OpenSolaris 11
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: WinXP, RedHat, Ubuntu

Re: No Audio on multiple guests with Sun Ray

Post by kebabbert »

I am using SunRay 2, with VirtualBox 4.1.2 and Solaris 11 Express. It works fine, but it was a pain to get latest SunRay server v5.2.1(?) to install. Still it does not really work perfectly, once in a week I loose network connection on the whole Solaris PC upon boot. This lasts half an hour, then I get network connection again and SunRay works.

Some sound streams does not work, MP3 sound works, but not WMA(?). Youtube sound works well, but not when watching movie in AVI format.

I suggest you try Solaris 11 Express, or the OpenSolaris clone: OpenIndiana.

PS. I am only using one SunRay 2, so maybe several clients does not work.