Error messages on console during Solaris host boot

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Solaris hosts.
rdhalstead

Error messages on console during Solaris host boot

Post by rdhalstead »

Host Oracle Solaris 11 Express snv_151a X86 VirtualBox 4.1.0 r 73009 with Extension Pack

While the host is booting (with VirtualBox loaded in the kernel) the following messages appear in /var/adm/messages, dmesg and on the console:

grep vbox /var/adm/messages|grep NOTICE
Jul 22 11:27:05 sol11 vboxdrv: [ID 694835 kern.notice] NOTICE: kthread_t::t_preempt at 42
Jul 22 11:27:05 sol11 vboxdrv: [ID 694835 kern.notice] NOTICE: cpu_t::cpu_runrun at 216
Jul 22 11:27:05 sol11 vboxdrv: [ID 694835 kern.notice] NOTICE: cpu_t::cpu_kprunrun at 217

VirtualBox works fine, its just noise on the console. With the SUNWvbox package removed, no noise. This is the first appearance of these messages. Prior versions of vbox are clean.

This has been reported in Bugtracker Ticket #9277
Ramshankar
Oracle Corporation

Re: Error messages on console during Solaris host boot

Post by Ramshankar »

These messages are intentional. They happen only when the host driver is loaded. We'll consider removing them in a future release if we deem them obsolete with debugging certain issues, but at the moment no real promises.
Oracle Corp.
rdhalstead

Post by rdhalstead »

Thank you for the feedback. Its a relief knowing that my machine is not dying :wink:
rdhalstead

Post by rdhalstead »

Ramshankar wrote:These messages are intentional. They happen only when the host driver is loaded. We'll consider removing them in a future release if we deem them obsolete with debugging certain issues, but at the moment no real promises.
New release of vbox (4.1.2), same noise on the console. Can you please stop the debugging at boot time. Maybe I'm just anal, but I prefer a nice quiet console during boot in case there are real problems.

--ron
allencp
Primary OS: Solaris
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: WinXP SP3, Win7 (64-bit)

Post by allencp »

New release of vbox (4.1.2), same noise on the console. Can you please stop the debugging at boot time. Maybe I'm just anal, but I prefer a nice quiet console during boot in case there are real problems.

--ron
I concur, there is no strong reason to have debug messages showing with a formal release.
Ramshankar
Oracle Corporation

Post by Ramshankar »

These messages will continue to be logged until we decide it's no longer relevant. It is there for a reason to help us in debugging internal changes that can save us hours or even days of debugging time.

I've now made it such that the messages will only go to the system log but will not show up on boot-up in the console. I believe this is the ideal solution for now. The change will be included in the next VirtualBox release.
Oracle Corp.
rasta
Volunteer

Post by rasta »

Excellent! Thank you, Ramshankar! Using Vbox 4.1.2 + Solaris GA, I also get the same harmless messages on console when booting a Sol 10 u8 x64 guest on a Win7 x64 host.