Win64 Pro -. Crashes / Reboots with VBox 4.1.0

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Solaris hosts.
MikeWidmann
Primary OS: Solaris
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Win7 32 / 64

Win64 Pro -. Crashes / Reboots with VBox 4.1.0

Post by MikeWidmann »

Hi

Installed Virtualbox 4.1.0 today and the speed is very good - better than with 4.0.8 BUT ...

My Windows that weeks run through (only in Vbox of course) - crashes every 1 or 2 hours ... silent reboot..

Didn't use the 3D Aero Acceleration - but stability is "lacking"...

Running actually on Build 148 of OpenIndiana and this was really stable... till now ...

Any ideas where to search for the problems?

Mike
smeenz
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: XP

Re: Win64 Pro -. Crashes / Reboots with VBox 4.1.0

Post by smeenz »

Seeing this also, silently resets the guest about 5 seconds after I start the Cisco PIX device manager (java app), then hangs at the windows logo. I have to unload and reload the vboxdrv driver to recover, so definitely seems to be a problem related to VirtualBox

Edit 23-Aug-11: Also silently reset just now when I start the paint.net application. I lost a significant amount of unsaved changes, data, and putty sesstions that I was working in, and have now reverted to 4.0.12 until this serious bug is resolved.
Last edited by smeenz on 23. Aug 2011, 07:38, edited 3 times in total.
ljw1
Primary OS: OpenSolaris 11
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu

Post by ljw1 »

I am seeing this as well. Have you looked into the logs for the host. Mine has this repeated thousands of times in the adm log.

vboxdrv: [ID 672071 kern.notice] int pgmR0BthAMD64AMD64Trap0eHandler(VMCPU*, RTGCUINT, CPUMCTXCORE*, RTGCPTR, bool*): returns rc=0 pvFau
lt=000000000f1bd167 uErr=15 cs:rip=0023:0f1bd167
smeenz
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: XP

Post by smeenz »

SOLVED (for me at least).

This is caused by some problem with the GUEST additions when the 3D acceleration (experimental) tickbox is selected. If you reinstall the guest additions without that ticked, everything works fine. Note that the version of virtualbox itself does not seem to matter (either 4.0.12 or 4.1) - if the guest additions are 4.1 and 3D is ticked, the guest box will reset silently when certain D3D calls are made.

I guess I should have taken notice of the word 'experimental', though I've always ticked it in the past and never had any issues until 4.1