Benefit of the VM-s running from a Zone

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Solaris hosts.
junkfer
Primary OS: Solaris
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 2003srv R2

Benefit of the VM-s running from a Zone

Post by junkfer »

Hello everyone,

Anybody could see the subject, it is a question... It is possible working witch CPU pools, Disk devices, NIC's, but NOT with MEMORY CAP...
I try to find it out, but dont find any.... So who see how the picture, what is the benefit?

Okay, step over on this last question (fun). I have one old installed guest Windows2003 Server (installed in Version 2.1.4, migrated to 4.0.2)
My problem is, that the VM is crashed at periodic time. (last uptime is 3 month) The Server does nothing else just 3 times on a week act as Windows Media Server and stream videos over the net (approx. viewer is 50 person), load is minimum...

I have migrated 2 server function to one server, while the two server was still old, etc. andthe monthly costs was too high too...
So i have currently a SUN Fire x2270 server vith 2 pcs x3306 QUAD core CPU and 6 GB RAM. CPU's pooled, RAM is CAPPED. Operating system is Sol 10 u9.
the functionallity of the server is (all running from own zone...)
- webserver (from zone with Oracle (SUN) iplanet 7.0.9 - PHP NSAPI plugin)
- as i wrote before Virtualbox service for the streaming...

before i have this configuration, the two function runned on two separated hw, and have no problem with the webserver uptime was more than 1 year.. (because the RAM upgrade). But must sometime the VirtualBox server process restart (while the Windows crashed himself)
The last time, i experienced, that the Windows VM could not be reached from the internet, and i logged in to the server, begin to start the process. I found the process, so i restarted the whole zone.... After this some time (3-5 hours) i experienced, that i could not reach the server global zone, and MUST restart it from system console. Have anyone some idea, what the reason of this problem is?

Maybe it is a connecting problem but i experience a slow memory loosing, when i check the memory. (I try to find it with ::memstat mdb -k and check with vmstat too)...

Could someone expert help me, to find out that what the memory loosing reason is (maybe it is a VM problem), and what is the problem with my Windows 2003 VM?

thank you, for any help, regards

Ferenc Junkert
Ramshankar
Oracle Corporation

Re: Benefit of the VM-s running from a Zone

Post by Ramshankar »

We'd need a VBox.log for the VM in question and a detailed scenario description.Could you please create a ticket in the public bugtracker with all the relevant details?
Oracle Corp.