3D Acceleration on OpenIndiana with 4.0.0

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Solaris hosts.
ajchace
Primary OS: OpenSolaris other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: OpenSolaris WindowsXP RedHatLinux Ubuntu Gentoo

3D Acceleration on OpenIndiana with 4.0.0

Post by ajchace »

I'm currently running VirtualBox 4.0.0 on OpenIndiana build 147 with Windows XP guests. I would like to be able to use 3D acceleration on my Windows XP guests, but the checkbox for 3D acceleration is grayed out in the settings for all of my Windows XP guests. I have confirmed that the correct version of guest additions was installed in Safe Mode on each guest, and that the "extension pack" is correctly installed on the host. I understand that 3D acceleration is an experimental feature; what I would like to know is:

Does anyone else have 3D acceleration working on Solaris, Opensolaris, or (ideally) OpenIndiana?
kebabbert
Volunteer
Primary OS: OpenSolaris 11
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: WinXP, RedHat, Ubuntu

Re: 3D Acceleration on OpenIndiana with 4.0.0

Post by kebabbert »

I dont know, but why dont you try the latest VB version?
ljw1
Guest OSses: Ubuntu

Post by ljw1 »

I have had it working but you need to have a supported nvidia card for this to work. Even when it does work it has been really flaky causing crashes and things. Why do you need the 3d acceleration? Nearly all professional programs can run in software mode which works just as fast in most cases.
ajchace
Primary OS: OpenSolaris other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: OpenSolaris WindowsXP RedHatLinux Ubuntu Gentoo

Post by ajchace »

I was hoping to run FreeCAD in a Windows XP VM so that I could avoid the pain-and-suffering of manually compiling it on OpenIndiana. FreeCAD requires working OpenGL drivers when running on a "bare-metal" OS, so I would assume that it also requires them when running in an OS on a VM.
kebabbert
Volunteer
Guest OSses: WinXP, RedHat, Ubuntu

Post by kebabbert »

Nvidia has good 3D drivers for Solaris. Without Nvidia card, you wont get 3D performance in VB guests. You need a Nvidia graphics card.
studleylee

Post by studleylee »

ljw1 wrote:I have had it working but you need to have a supported nvidia card for this to work. Even when it does work it has been really flaky causing crashes and things. Why do you need the 3d acceleration? Nearly all professional programs can run in software mode which works just as fast in most cases.
Not True at all!!!