vboxnet0 is /pseudo/vboxnet@0 error preventing boot

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Solaris hosts.
tomwaters
Primary OS: OpenSolaris 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 7

vboxnet0 is /pseudo/vboxnet@0 error preventing boot

Post by tomwaters »

Hi folks,
I have an issue which I believe is caused by Virtualbox and it's preventing me from booting.

I went from 2009.06 111b to 134 yesterday and all looked good until I powered off.

After a cold/hard restart (ie. power off) it will no longer boot to my snv_134 BE. I still have 111b - but I really want some of the features in 134 so I am desperate to get past this issue.

I edited GRUB to remove graphical boot and it still froze...(just after showing initial version info. and hostname : nas.

I then added -v to the kernel line and it's shown me it's freezing after displaying the line...
"vboxnet0 is /pseudo/vboxnet@0"

I then booted again with -v -m verbose and got the following additional lines...
[ network/routing-setup:default starting (initial routing=related configuration) ]
[ system/coreadm:default starting (system=wide core file configuration) ]

I am not sure how to proceed...I have gone back to my original 111 boot environment and uninstalled virtualbox and deleted the /tmp files and removed the .VirtualBox folder from my (user) home directory, then uppgraded to 134 - same result. I have also done the above AND unistalled virtualbox - same result - boot freezes on vboxnet0.

When i go into the virtualbox gui, it errors when i try to remove the network adapter, or add a new network adapter...(sorry am away from the server at the moment so can not post the exact error message).

Need your expert help here guys as I REALLY do not want to do a fresh install just to get past this issue. Happy to edit/delete whatever - I just want this adapter gone so i can boot into 134 (and then re-install virtualbox).

Some additional notes...
I had issues with vboxnet0 (a network interface added by virtual box) interfering with Samba, so I removed some interface config files and unplumbed it. And in the process may have stuffed the config..ie.
rm /etc/hostname.vboxnet0
ifconfig vboxnet0 unplumb
jkeil

Re: vboxnet0 is /pseudo/vboxnet@0 error preventing boot

Post by jkeil »

Not sure if it will help, but what happens when you boot the b134 BE from GRUB
with kernel options "-B disable-vboxnet=true" and -v ?
tomwaters
Primary OS: OpenSolaris 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 7

Re: vboxnet0 is /pseudo/vboxnet@0 error preventing boot

Post by tomwaters »

Thanks for that I'll give it a go tonight and see.

I have also installed a "fresh"version of 134 and it's going ok in there...but am having graphics issues...but that's another story...so would be great if that flag got me in.