Minimizing Solaris10 host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Solaris hosts.
bthalmayr
Primary OS: Solaris
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Solaris Windows

Minimizing Solaris10 host

Post by bthalmayr »

Hi experts,
is there any documentation around which decribes the minimal requirements needed to run VirtualBox in headless mode on Solaris (not OpenSolaris) host? In productive environments we suggest to minimize / harden the OS, so I would need the packages VirtualBox requires. The basis should be 'Core System Support' (SUNWCreq) software group. Currently it seems not to be documented in the manual which software group is needed by VirtualBox.
Thanks, Bernhard
jimklimov
Primary OS: OpenSolaris other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, OSOL, Windows

Re: Minimizing Solaris10 host

Post by jimklimov »

Hi.

While I don't have a direct answer to your question - I run most of my VirtualBoxes on SXCE due to need for VNICs/etherstubs - I do also use minimized servers unless specifically required (i.e. desktop servers for Sun Rays).

Compared to our usual stack of about 250-270 packages (Core + SSH + Sendmail + BIND and LDAP/NIS clients + some tools and libs, and minimal X11 stuff for TightVNC server and graphical installers), VirtualBox required SUNWPython-devel as well as SUNWPython itself. I guess I already had libxml and the likes, but I'd expect these packages to be needed otherwise. I think minimal X11 engine and fonts are also needed, at least for the GUI (main VM selector and VM consoles), and might be needed for Headless (RDP consoles etc?) - but I don't want to lie here :)

//Jim