VirtualBox v3.0.X system lock up issue

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Solaris hosts.
ljw1
Primary OS: OpenSolaris 11
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu

Re: VirtualBox v3.0.X system lock up issue

Post by ljw1 »

My opensolaris snv118 system now hardlocks when using 3.0.2, functioning perfectly using 2.2.4. The only change that was made was from 1 to 2 cpu in the settings. Also tried disabling the usb and this did not fix the problem. It would be ok if it was only the vbox that locked up but hardlocking the host as well is a massive nuisance.
connor
Primary OS: OpenSolaris other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Xp, Ubuntu

Post by connor »

I tend to agree with svcadm, it's really difficult to investigate this issue since the complete machine crashes. I've disabled USB support in my Ubuntu 9.04 VM (on Virtualbox 3.0.2), seemed to be more stable, but still crashed after perhaps 48h. Everything is switched off in this machine, only ACPI and network (Intel MT1000) switched on, no floppy, no audio, no serial port etc.
I've gone the other way around to ljw1, I've downgraded to VirtualBox 2.2.4, and up to now no more crashes (running since Monday, so not completely convinced yet).
So it doesn't seem to be a hardware issue (in my case).

BTW, I currently use an Intel Pentium E5200 Dual Core, so no VT available.
vbox4me2
Volunteer

Post by vbox4me2 »

This can easely be a smp bug, since thats the only new thing in v3.
eblaine
Primary OS: Solaris
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7

Post by eblaine »

Has a bug report been submitted for this issue? I've had three lockups today alone.

What's odd is that I've left Google Earth running in Windows XP (using hardware OpenGL) overnight with the globe spinning and a constant load on two processors, come back the next day and it's still running great. About one in three or four times it will hard lock on either the XP loading screen or the login screen, however. Once in a while it will actually crash while working on something in Windows.

I'm currently running Sol10x_u6 on the Ultra 24 that most of the development work is being done on, would a move to Update 7 change anything?

For those of you that moved back to 2.2.4 (oh how I miss the stability), did you have to reinstall Windows or were you able to keep the same VDI? I'd hate to lose some of the features of 3 but system crashes don't look great when you're trying to demo a product. I don't want to sound ungrateful for what is essentially a free product, the VBox devs are likely working hard and we all appreciate it.
randshuntzinger

Post by randshuntzinger »

I think the turn off features one by one is merely a suggestion as to how you might go about trying to find a workaround for the problem while it is being fixed. Of course, if you actually find something that helps, that might be useful to relay to the people trying to resolve the underlying problem. It isn't clear, at least to me, what the client is doing which is causing the host to lock up.

The first message in this thread gives a ticket which has been opened on this.

http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/4534

I don't see any obvious activity on this ticket (which is only a week old at this time) but from past experience that doesn't necessarily mean that the problem isn't being addressed. The ticketing system appears to be a wiki, so if you have some usefule information you want to add, you can probably do so.
connor

Post by connor »

eblaine,

I just uninstalled the guest extensions, uninstalled 3.0.2, and then installed 2.2.4, using the same VDIs. In Windows, you can easily remove the guest extensions, but for Ubuntu, there is no removal, but the installation routine of 2.2.4 guest extensions doesn't seem to check the versions, so you can easily reinstall the guest extensions there for 2.2.4 without any problems (at least in my experience).

Running now for four or five days without a crash.
svcadm
Guest OSses: Gentoo GNU/Linux, Windows XP

Post by svcadm »

After performing much troubleshooting of turning individual features off until the VBox guests are damn near unusable, and in every case a recurrence of lockup. The only solution I have found to date is to dump 3.0.X and install 2.2.4. I will be sticking with 2.2.4 until I see this issue addressed in a future changelog.
rpro
Primary OS: OpenSolaris 10
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Post by rpro »

I had to go back to 2.2.4 as well.

Unfortunately, I had to reinstall XP - for some reason, even with the guest additions uninstalled, 2.2.4 chokes when booting XP. Every 2nd boot it hangs completely at the Windows black screen. Only reinstalling XP fixed it.

2.2.4 is perfectly stable.

In 3.0.2, I was only using 1 CPU.
half12
Guest OSses: RH 4 & 5, CentOS 4, Ubuntu 9.10, MSDOS, Win 95, 98se, 2K, XP, OpenSolaris, Solaris

Post by half12 »

Hi,

After upgrading to v3.0.2 all my existing vbox created with v2.2.0 and earlier worked without any problems, 16 hours of continue use was my longest before choosing to shutdown.

However, after deciding to install SXDE b117 I deleted my SXDE b115 vbox and created a new instance but re-used the virtual disk. It was only then that I experienced issues of lock ups.

My WinXP settings are as follows which are common to all VBox except for Base Memory and IDE drive name. My OpenSolaris VBox which worked under v3.0.2 does have an IDE drive and four SATA drives

General
Name : winxp-ts3
OS Type : Windows XP
Base Memory : 3584 MB
Video Memory :128 MB
Boot Order : CD/DVD-ROM, Hard Disk
ACPI :Enabled
IO APIC : Disabled
VT-x/AMD-V : Enabled
Nested Paging : Enabled
PAE/NX : Disabled
3D Acceleration : Enabled

Hard Disks
IDE Primary Master: winxp-ts3.vdi (Normal, 60.00 GB)

CD/DVD-ROM
Not mounted

Floppy
Not mounted

Audio
Host Driver: Solaris Audio
Controller: ICH AC97

Network
Adapter 1: PCnet-FAST III (Bridged adapter, nge0 - Nvidia Gigabit Ethernet)

Serial Ports
Disabled

USB
Disabled

Shared Folders:
None

Remote Display
Disabled

If anyone with v3.0.2 wants to check these settings
dri
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Various

Post by dri »

This affects me aswell. Have been running a Jaunty guest for days, being quite idle, no crashes. Putting some load on the guest, 200+ network connections etc, (Bridged Intel device) crashes the host for no apparent reason after 15 minutes. Running OpenSolaris 2009.06 snv_111b X86.
fronobulax
Guest OSses: Win2k, XP, 98

Post by fronobulax »

Same issue here. Had lockups with a 1 cpu box on OpenSolaris 2009.06, I have since upgraded to a i7 platform, reinstalled OpenSolaris from scratch (nothing on the box other than vanilla 2009.06 and VB 3.0.2. Same lockups. I have actually seen a lockup occur (when working with one VB window on the main console the screen went black and the system became completely unresponsive). VB 3.0.2 has locked on Win98, Win 2k, and Win XP sessions. VB 3.0.2 has locked on brand new installs and existing VMs brought over from 2.2.4.

Some background info.
-I thought it was possibly a memory issue as the old server only had 2 gigs, but the new server has 12 gigs.
-The server currently runs with 3 gig of ram free.
-I thought it may be a processor issue as the old box was slow with high utilization when running VMs, but the new system is responsive and has plenty of processor available when it hangs.
-The only other function the server fulfills is as a ZFS CIFS server for my local lan. Before 3.0.2 VB I rarely touched the console.
-VB hangs the system with only one VM running in either as headless or on the console.
-VB hangs the system with or without USB enabled for the VM.
-VB hangs the system with or without network adapter enabled for the VM.
-I have had VB hang the system while setting up a VM that did not yet have VB additions installed.
-The common element is 3.0.2 As the sytem was slow, but did not hang under 2.2.4.

I'm downgrading to 2.2.4 as we speak. Since I do have some spare hardware I can continue to play with 3.0.2 on my old server as time allows.
mwilson
Primary OS: Solaris
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Post by mwilson »

I'll add a "me too" here. I was running VBox 2.1.4 on Solaris 10 on a Dell PowerEdge 1800 without incident. After upgrading to VBox 3.0.2, Solaris would hang seemingly randomly, when VirtualBox was running (I use VBoxHeadless to start VMs). No console input, no network responsiveness...Solaris just seemed to die. The guest I run is a Windows XP guest, 384MB of RAM on a 4GB host. No VT extensions. Uninstalling VBox 3.0.2 and installing VBox 2.2.4 seems to have made the problem go away.

I am able to force a panic/crash dump by issuing an NMI on the server when it hangs. If it's helpful, the stack from the two most recent freezes / NMI-induced panics are:

Code: Select all

unix:vpanic_common+0x165()
genunix:0xfffffffffb9f0d83()
pcplusmp:apic_nmi_intr+0x61()
unix:av_dispatch_nmivect+0x1f()
unix:nmiint+0x17e()
unix:tsc_read+0xa()
unix:lock_set_spl_spin+0x75()
unix:mutex_vector_enter+0x31c()
vboxdrv:RTSemEventSignal+0x6a()
emlxs(unloaded text):0xfffffffff029332b()
emlxs(unloaded text):0xfffffffff02944ea()
vboxflt:vboxNetFltSolarisRecv+0x2a1()
vboxflt:VBoxNetFltSolarisModReadPut+0x107()
unix:putnext+0x1f1()
dld:dld_str_rx_raw+0x3f()
dls:i_dls_link_rx_func+0xd2()
dls:i_dls_link_rx_common_promisc+0x43()
dls:i_dls_link_rx_common+0x120()
dls:i_dls_link_rx_promisc+0x10()
mac:mac_rx+0x71()
e1000g:e1000g_intr_work+0xd9()
e1000g:e1000g_intr+0x5b()
unix:av_dispatch_autovect+0x78()
unix:intr_thread+0x5f()
-- end of interrupt thread's stack --
and

Code: Select all

unix:vpanic_common+0x165()
genunix:0xfffffffffb9f0d83()
pcplusmp:apic_nmi_intr+0x61()
unix:av_dispatch_nmivect+0x1f()
unix:nmiint+0x17e()
unix:tsc_read+0xa()
unix:lock_set_spl_spin+0x75()
unix:mutex_vector_enter+0x31c()
vboxdrv:RTSemEventSignal+0x6a()
emlxs(unloaded text):0xfffffffff029332b()
emlxs(unloaded text):0xfffffffff02944ea()
vboxflt:vboxNetFltSolarisRecv+0x2a1()
vboxflt:VBoxNetFltSolarisModReadPut+0x107()
unix:putnext+0x1f1()
dld:dld_str_rx_raw+0x3f()
dls:i_dls_link_rx_func+0xd2()
dls:i_dls_link_rx_common_promisc+0x43()
dls:i_dls_link_rx_common+0x120()
dls:i_dls_link_rx_promisc+0x10()
mac:mac_rx+0x71()
e1000g:e1000g_intr_work+0xd9()
e1000g:e1000g_intr+0x5b()
unix:av_dispatch_autovect+0x78()
unix:intr_thread+0x5f()
-- end of interrupt thread's stack --
I'm not sure what other information might be in the crash dumps that would be helpful to troubleshoot, but it does look like in both cases the stack is similar before I sent an NMI.
fronobulax
Guest OSses: Win2k, XP, 98

Post by fronobulax »

fronobulax wrote:Same issue here. Had lockups with a 1 cpu box on OpenSolaris 2009.06, I have since upgraded to a i7 platform, reinstalled OpenSolaris from scratch (nothing on the box other than vanilla 2009.06 and VB 3.0.2. Same lockups. I have actually seen a lockup occur (when working with one VB window on the main console the screen went black and the system became completely unresponsive). VB 3.0.2 has locked on Win98, Win 2k, and Win XP sessions. VB 3.0.2 has locked on brand new installs and existing VMs brought over from 2.2.4.

Some background info.
-I thought it was possibly a memory issue as the old server only had 2 gigs, but the new server has 12 gigs.
-The server currently runs with 3 gig of ram free.
-I thought it may be a processor issue as the old box was slow with high utilization when running VMs, but the new system is responsive and has plenty of processor available when it hangs.
-The only other function the server fulfills is as a ZFS CIFS server for my local LAN. Before 3.0.2 VB I rarely touched the console.
-VB hangs the system with only one VM running in either as headless or on the console.
-VB hangs the system with or without USB enabled for the VM.
-VB hangs the system with or without network adapter enabled for the VM.
-I have had VB hang the system while setting up a VM that did not yet have VB additions installed.
-The common element is 3.0.2 As the system was slow, but did not hang under 2.2.4.

I'm downgrading to 2.2.4 as we speak. Since I do have some spare hardware I can continue to play with 3.0.2 on my old server as time allows.
So I have now removed the 3.0.2 extensions from all my VM's, removed VB 3.0.2 and reinstalled 2.2.4, loaded the 2.2.4 extensions in all the VM's that use them, and so far everything is stable as a rock with no other VM changes.

Note: I included the extension info for process narrative as I experienced lockups with VM's whether or not they had extensions loaded.
connor

Post by connor »

Anyone tried the new 3.0.4 version? Any improvements?
half12
Guest OSses: RH 4 & 5, CentOS 4, Ubuntu 9.10, MSDOS, Win 95, 98se, 2K, XP, OpenSolaris, Solaris

Post by half12 »

I have downloaded v3.0.4 but am waiting until I have finished a download of Solaris Express b119.

I run some tests in the next couple of hours.

The bug that I logged is not specifically listed as being fixed but hopefully some of the other fixes has impacted on the lock ups.