VirtualBox v3.0.X system lock up issue

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Solaris hosts.
nxnlvz
Primary OS: Solaris
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Widnows (XP,7,8) / Linux (Debian, Unbuntu) / MacOS (Lion)

Re: VirtualBox v3.0.X system lock up issue

Post by nxnlvz »

Most of the strangeness that I have seen is coming from the NAT interface which of course the DHCP sits on top of. When I disable this option and just bridge the interfaces all seems to operate much better. This is only anecdotal observation and it seems strange to me. I could be way off base.
dri
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Various

Post by dri »

nxnlvz wrote:Most of the strangeness that I have seen is coming from the NAT interface which of course the DHCP sits on top of. When I disable this option and just bridge the interfaces all seems to operate much better. This is only anecdotal observation and it seems strange to me. I could be way off base.
NAT or bridge, it's all the same to me.
steinar
Primary OS: OpenSolaris 11
Guest OSses: linux, windows home server, freebsd

Post by steinar »

I'm having the lock-ups and kernel panics (host reboots) on Vbox 3.0.4

Seems the host only network DHCP service may have something to do with it:

See ticket 4775 on the VirtualBox public bugtracker
Ramshankar
Oracle Corporation

Post by Ramshankar »

That is a different problem, VBoxNetDHCP is only required for host-only networking so if you're not using "vboxnet0" you can kill VBoxNetDHCP process.
Oracle Corp.
steinar
Guest OSses: linux, windows home server, freebsd

Post by steinar »

I am using vboxnet0, actually for mounting host file systems on the guests through nfs.

I have tweaked every possible feature, acpi, apic, pae, Vt etc. and found none that caused this setup to run stable, until i disabled the DHCP service in vboxnet0. I was using static IPs anyway on this net. The host and debian guest now appear to be much more stable on this setup (Vbox 3.0.4, osol 200906 host)

My money is on VBoxNetDHCP as one of the troublemakers.
dri
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Various

Post by dri »

I'm curious about the current developments regarding this showstopper bug. Any VirtualBox rep care to answer?
alzmich
Guest OSses: Win XP, Linux

Post by alzmich »

Hi,

same here - VirtualBox 3.0.4 on opensolaris 2009.6 host with Guest Windows XP 64 brings the host to lock.
No output on console or messages file - even the keyboard does not respond.
Only power cycling the host (here a Dell PE T605) helps.
I feel it mostly happens when the guest is running on high I/O or high CPU.

Michael.
thomberg
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 9,04 64-bit, Windows XP SP3

Post by thomberg »

alzmich wrote:Hi,

same here - VirtualBox 3.0.4 on opensolaris 2009.6 host with Guest Windows XP 64 brings the host to lock.

Michael.
I have experienced the same.
Getting full host hangs on both Opensolaris 2009/06 and Solaris 10 U7 hosts requiring powercycling to recover.
I'm using an Ubuntu 9.04 64 bit guest and a WinXP SP3 32 bit guest on Virtualbox 3.0.4. (Dell 760 workstation with quad core cpu)
Generating CPU and network traffic makes the host hang more frequently. With the tests I did I could usually make it hang within a few minutes.
Great to see they have tracked down the problem on Solaris. Hopefully it's related to the Opensolaris hang as well.
ljw1
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu

Post by ljw1 »

So if all these solaris and opensolaris hosts are locking up is there a time frame for the next release to fix this problem?
Ramshankar
Oracle Corporation

Post by Ramshankar »

thomberg wrote:
alzmich wrote:Hi,

Michael.
I have experienced the same.
Getting full host hangs on both Opensolaris 2009/06 and Solaris 10 U7 hosts requiring powercycling to recover.
I'm using an Ubuntu 9.04 64 bit guest and a WinXP SP3 32 bit guest on Virtualbox 3.0.4. (Dell 760 workstation with quad core cpu)
Generating CPU and network traffic makes the host hang more frequently. With the tests I did I could usually make it hang within a few minutes.
Great to see they have tracked down the problem on Solaris. Hopefully it's related to the Opensolaris hang as well.
Are you using bridged or host-only networking or are you using NAT?
Oracle Corp.
alzmich
Guest OSses: Win XP, Linux

Post by alzmich »

Ramshankar wrote:

Are you using bridged or host-only networking or are you using NAT?
Hi,

I'm using bridged network. Bridged to a bnx0 Interface.

Michael.
localhost66
Guest OSses: XP SP3, Ubuntu 8.04, 2003x64

Post by localhost66 »

I tried to play with ZFS ARC settings. And after drastically degradation to 256M it stops locking up.

Code: Select all

set zfs:zfs_arc_max = 0x10000000
This limitation is needed also for running XEN Dom0 with ZFS.
http://opensolaris.org/os/community/xen/docs/relnotes/

I hope, there will be better solution, than almost destroing ZFS Cache. I rather moved back to 2.2.4...

Jiri Madle
ngtstlkr

Post by ngtstlkr »

Most people in this section are here because it's the "VirtualBox on OpenSolaris Hosts" so not sure why answers were that this is a Solaris 10 issue. My problem is with OpenSolaris and VBox.

I have a the same issue, whenever I reboot any of my guests, the host machine will sometimes freeze up. I just had grabbed OpenSolaris 2009.06 a couple months or so ago and ever since then VBox has either froze my host up completely, or auto-rebooted the host. I had tried this with VBox 3.0.x (all three version tree) and the 2.2.2 version tree (did not try 2.2.4, went straight to 3.0 from 2.2.2), and I have tried just about everything I could from disabling USB, I don't have any 3D enabled yet anywhere, turning off CIFS on the host thinking that might be an issue, turning off the VBox file sharing to guests, and none of that helped with it crashing whenever restarting a guest.

On the 2.2.2 it would reboot my box, since 3.0.X it only freezes the host. On the 2.2.2 I was trying the CIFS / Samba / VBox Sharing between guest and host and just switched to 3.0 to get the multi-core support.

BTW, It also happens when I power off a guest sometimes as well, I thought if I just powered it off rather than nicely shut it down it wouldn't cause the lock up but it still did. I had tried booting up with some parameters that let me trap or see the last few things that might have happened, but because the system freezes I don't get that console. I am kind of green with OpenSolaris but followed an article I found on how to get some debug output, which didn't work on the latest freeze up. I am not using zones, I am just using OpenSolaris out of the box (unless out of the box it uses zones).
thomberg
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 9,04 64-bit, Windows XP SP3

Post by thomberg »

Ramshankar wrote: Are you using bridged or host-only networking or are you using NAT?
I'm using bridged network for both the WinXP and the Ubuntu guest. The WinXP guest is using CIFS and the Ubuntu guest is using nfs, both from a separate Ubuntu box I have.
ci4ic4
Guest OSses: Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows 7, OpenSolaris

Post by ci4ic4 »

Go get your next 3.06BETA1 fix from http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/3.0.6_BETA1/ . So far seems to be working for me. More tests needed, though. I am just about to replace the [fine working] 2.2.4 with this on one of my OpenSolaris snv_121 based servers (64-bit with AMD-V).