Can not build VirtualBox 1.6.2 OSE on Windows XP 64 bit

Discussions related to using the OSE version of VirtualBox.

Can not build VirtualBox 1.6.2 OSE on Windows XP 64 bit

Postby Uday » 15. Sep 2008, 15:12

Hi,

I successfully built VirtualBox 1.6.2 OSE on Windows XP 32 bit when I followed the build instructions http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Windows% ... structions However when I tried to run those binaries on 64 bit platform, I get runtime errors.

This made me try building the VirtualBox on a 64bit platform. However, for this, I had to change configure.vbs a bit so that binaries from "kBuild\bin\win.amd64" had to be considered.

Later on i got an error when kmk failed to create a processess "yasm.exe" This got resolved when i added "tools\win.amd64\bin" into path variable.

But now a am stuck with following error,
process_begin: CreateProcess(NULL, x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu-g++.exe -c -g -O2 -n
ostdinc -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-math-errno -Wall -m64 -mcmodel=medium -fno-com
mon -IE:/vbsource/VirtualBox/src/VBox/Runtime/include -IE:/vbsource/VirtualBox/i
nclude/iprt/nocrt -IE:/vbsource/VirtualBox/include -IE:/vbsource/VirtualBox/out/
win.amd64/release -DVBOX -DVBOX_OSE -DRT_OS_WINDOWS -D__WIN__ -DRT_ARCH_AMD64 -D
__AMD64__ -D__WIN64__ -DIN_RING3 -DIPRT_NO_CRT -DHC_ARCH_BITS=64 -DGC_ARCH_BITS=
32 -Wp,-MD,E:/vbsource/VirtualBox/out/win.amd64/release/obj/src/VBox/Runtime/Run
timeR3NoCRTGCC/common/misc/sanity-cpp.o.dep -Wp,-MT,E:/vbsource/VirtualBox/out/w
in.amd64/release/obj/src/VBox/Runtime/RuntimeR3NoCRTGCC/common/misc/sanity-cpp.o
-Wp,-MP -o E:/vbsource/VirtualBox/out/win.amd64/release/obj/src/VBox/Runtime/Ru
ntimeR3NoCRTGCC/common/misc/sanity-cpp.o E:/vbsource/VirtualBox/src/VBox/Runtime
/common/misc/sanity-cpp.cpp, ...) failed.

Did anyone come across such error? What other settings do I need to do to get the VirtualBox built on 64bit platform?

Thanks in advance

-Uday
Uday

Postby Dest » 30. Sep 2008, 18:12

From what I can tell there is no current working 64bit version of mingw that will compile virtualbox (or fully working 64bit version of mingw period).

I would have to assume that the 64bit windows versions that are produced are a resultset from a cross compiler probably on a linux system.

I might setup a linux box tonight and give that a try but I haven't had time as of yet.
Dest
Volunteer

Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 2000, Windows XP, Ubuntu, FreeBSD

Postby Uday » 3. Oct 2008, 14:42

Thanks for the reply Dest.

I downloaded 64bit MinGW from http://www.esnips.com/web/MinGW64 and went ahead with compilation after making few changes in couple of makefiles.

However, I am stuck at the place where the compilation fails saying

E:/vbsource/VirtualBox/src/recompiler/target-i386/ops_sse.h: In function 'op_punpckhqdq_xmm':
E:/vbsource/VirtualBox/src/recompiler/target-i386/ops_sse.h:1400: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
E:/vbsource/VirtualBox/src/recompiler/target-i386/ops_sse.h:1400: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
kBuild: dyngen VBoxREM - E:/vbsource/VirtualBox/out/win.amd64/release/obj/src/recompiler/VBoxREM2/target-i386/op.o
dyngen: bad ELF header
kmk.exe[2]: *** [E:/vbsource/VirtualBox/out/win.amd64/release/obj/src/recompiler/VBoxREM2/op.h] Error 1
kmk.exe[2]: *** Deleting file `E:/vbsource/VirtualBox/out/win.amd64/release/obj/src/recompiler/VBoxREM2/op.h'
kmk.exe[2]: Leaving directory `E:/vbsource/VirtualBox/src/recompiler'
kmk.exe[1]: *** [pass_binaries_before] Error 2
kmk.exe[1]: Leaving directory `E:/vbsource/VirtualBox/src'
kmk: *** [pass_binaries_before] Error 2

Any idea what this error means and how to get rid of this?

Also did you get a chance to build it at your end using cross compiler?

-Uday
Uday

Postby Dest » 3. Oct 2008, 18:42

No.... i did some more reading and it looks like the devs use a windows system with a set of g++bintools built for cross compiling..
Dest
Volunteer

Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 2000, Windows XP, Ubuntu, FreeBSD

Return to VirtualBox OSE