Did anyone try to build VBox OSE 6.0.* already?

Discussions related to using the OSE version of VirtualBox.
Yurii.Ch
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: Windows 7-10, Linux

Did anyone try to build VBox OSE 6.0.* already?

Post by Yurii.Ch »

Looks like build instructions require a major update.

VBox 6.0.4 requires (at least in my default configuration) Visual C++ 12.0, which is a part of Visual Studio 2013.
File VirtualBox-6.0.4\kBuild\tools\VCC120AMD64.kmk is included by default and, as follows from the name, requires Visual C++ 12.0, looks like for Additions only, but some targets are compiled, even if Additions are turned off in LocalConfig.kmk

Also one of the makefiles tries to locate Windows DDK 8.1

Code: Select all

/VirtualBox-6.0.4/kBuild/sdks/WINDDK80.kmk:52: kBuild: PATH_SDK_WINDDK80 couldn't be determined!
Main script configure.vbs does not contain anything looks like VC++ 12.0 or WinDDK 8.1 config

Did anyone compile the whole product (VirtualBox and Additions) under Windows? We really need assistance, accept any suggestions, if you have to offer personal help, it is paid for sure.

However, if I sort it out, I will provide instructions update (and maybe some commit request)
Last edited by Yurii.Ch on 5. Mar 2019, 10:50, edited 1 time in total.
Yurii.Ch

Re: Did anyone try to build VBox OSE 6.0.* already?

Post by Yurii.Ch »

I did it, Virtualbox 6 is compiling, without Guest Additions for a while, but I'm working also in it.
Going to create a wiki manual up-to-date with the current version to share my experience
matthiasp

Post by matthiasp »

That is great news!
Do you already have a link to the updated wiki manual?

Best,
Matthias
Yurii.Ch

Post by Yurii.Ch »

Hi Matthias,

I'm going to start Virtualbox Documentation project as soon as I finish with Guest Additions (Windows Additions) for Virtualbox 6.0.*. Pretty tough process, if you can help, we definitely can discuss.

About documentation, it's going to be Git Book format, if you want to contribute or just use, you can leave me your contact in PM

Regards,
Yurii
Philvx

Post by Philvx »

Hi Yurii,
I have the same problem in compiling VirtualBox which shows that DDK80 and VC12 is required. When I installed VS2013 and WDK8, a new error appeared.
It seems like there are some syntax errors in generated scripts:
C:/Users/VBOXBU~1/AppData/Local/Temp/make3536-1.sh: 1: Syntax error: "(" unexpected

It's much similar as the error reported in this link:
forums. virtualbox. org / viewtopic.php ? f=10&t=69749

But changing the path seems much more complicated and I still doubt whether it's necessary to install VS2013. Is there any opinions about how to solve the DDK80&VC12 error in your compiling?

Much thanks.
matthiasp

Post by matthiasp »

Hi Philvx,

if you don't need to build the guest additions those requirements aren't there.
To disable the additions you can add

VBOX_WITHOUT_ADDITIONS := 1
VBOX_WITH_ADDITIONS =
to your LocalConfig.kmk

I also got the VBox 6 build without the additions working and tried to document the necessary steps: https://github.com/matthias-prangl/Virt ... ows-10-x64

I hope this helps.
Yurii.Ch

Post by Yurii.Ch »

Philvx wrote:Hi Yurii,
I have the same problem in compiling VirtualBox which shows that DDK80 and VC12 is required. When I installed VS2013 and WDK8, a new error appeared.
It seems like there are some syntax errors in generated scripts:
C:/Users/VBOXBU~1/AppData/Local/Temp/make3536-1.sh: 1: Syntax error: "(" unexpected

Much thanks.
Hi Philvx,

This is well-known error.
Virtualbox 6 build system does not handle properly paths with spaces.
Solution is to create hardlinks to Microsoft Visual Studio, SDK and DDK without spaces:
https://techjourney.net/create-symbolic ... th-mklink/

For example, link C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 to C:\MSVS2013.
The same with C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits
It should work

UPDATE

I just thought, I'm not sure it's Visual Studio, SDK or something else.
Syntax error: "(" unexpected means command failed on the path between Program Files (x86).
Try to add debug output of all executed commands

kmk <YOUR_TARGET> --pretty-command-printing --jobs 1
You will see failed command and path passed to it
Philvx

Post by Philvx »

Thanks Yurii and matthiasp.

I succeed to build VBox 6.0.4 with VS2013 and WDK8.1 installed in path without blanks.

But are they (VS2013 and WDK8) required only in some additions in VBox? I still prefer only to use VS2010 and WDK7 if possible.
Yurii.Ch

Post by Yurii.Ch »

Philvx wrote: But are they (VS2013 and WDK8) required only in some additions in VBox? I still prefer only to use VS2010 and WDK7 if possible.
Both yes and no. Right, VS2018 and Windows DDK 8.0 required for compiling Guest Additions, but they also required for building libraries responsible for IPC with Guest Additions in Virtualbox installer. However, if you are sure you need installer only, for example, you use official Guest Additions ISO instead of compiling it, you can manually exclude these targets from build. I know it's definitely possible, but I did not try myself.