[Discussion] Build VirtualBox ≥ 5.1.2 on OSX ≥ 10.9

Discussions related to using the OSE version of VirtualBox.

[Discussion] Build VirtualBox ≥ 5.1.2 on OSX ≥ 10.9

Postby cluelesscoder » 17. Jul 2017, 06:59

This topic is the continuation and the public discussion for the topic:
Howtos and Tutorials » Building VirtualBox » [HowTo] Build VirtualBox ≥ 5.1.2 on OSX ≥ 10.9

Thanks! I wasted some time trying to follow the official instructions before I noticed this, altho I still haven't run through all the steps. What do you think about fixing the official instructions? Do you have write access to the repo and can you update the wiki?

I'm actually only interested in patching the documentation right now, but figured I'd pull down the code and maybe even try a hand at building the thing while doing so...
cluelesscoder

Re: Building VirtualBox ≥ 5.1.2 on OSX ≥ 10.9

Postby socratis » 17. Jul 2017, 09:27

cluelesscoder wrote:What do you think about fixing the official instructions? Do you have write access to the repo and can you update the wiki?

No, I don't have access, but the developers have been notified. Whether they make the changes is not up to me, although if I judge from the amount of queries about building VirtualBox on OSX, I'd say it's not a top priority. :?
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
socratis
Site Moderator

Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: [HowTo] Build VirtualBox ≥ 5.1.2 on OSX ≥ 10.9

Postby socratis » 15. Oct 2017, 23:37

Updated to include the 10.13 (HighSierra) version. It pretty much works like 10.12, with the XIP format still being the only drawback that Apple has decided to break the rules. Again...
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
socratis
Site Moderator

Downloading to Mac

Postby Terobero » 17. May 2018, 18:25

So I've been trying to download it for mac and its not working. First I've tried the directions in the official page, didn't work so i found this [HowTo] Build VirtualBox ≥ 5.1.2 on OSX ≥ 10.9 (sorry can't paste links).

I've completed all steps but
Code: Select all   Expand viewCollapse view
/Users/Shared/vbox/out/darwin.amd64/release/dist/loadall.sh
(the one before the last line).

I've tried to start the guide from start and realized I couldn't patch it
svn patch ~/Patch_VirtualBox.diff /Users/Shared/vbox/

The error I get is this
C         /Users/Shared/vbox/configure   (working copy)
>         rejected hunk @@ -153,7 +153,7 @@
>         rejected hunk @@ -1515,7 +1515,7 @@
>         rejected hunk @@ -1523,8 +1523,8 @@
>         rejected hunk @@ -1605,9 +1605,9 @@
Summary of conflicts:
  Text conflicts: 1
Last edited by socratis on 17. May 2018, 20:15, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed obfuscated URLs.
Terobero

Re: Downloading to Mac

Postby mpack » 17. May 2018, 18:29

The OS X your host or your guest?

Your language makes it seem like you are trying to install VirtualBox on an OS X host.

But to counter that, you posted in the "OS X Guests" forum.
mpack
Site Moderator

Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Postby Terobero » 17. May 2018, 18:34

Sorry, this forum is confusing. I am trying to install VirtualBox on Mac OS. Can you change the sub-forum?
Last edited by socratis on 17. May 2018, 20:15, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
Terobero

Postby socratis » 17. May 2018, 20:47

I will merge your topic with the [Discussion] Build VirtualBox ≥ 5.1.2 on OSX ≥ 10.9 in the VirtualBox OSE section (Open Source Edition), because that's what you're trying to do; build VirtualBox from the source.

The "rejected hunk @@" from a quick search shows that it's a "git" message. I'm not sure why you ended up with "git", but VirtualBox uses "svn", and the instructions talk about "svn", not "git".
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: [Discussion] Build VirtualBox ≥ 5.1.2 on OSX ≥ 10.9

Postby Terobero » 17. May 2018, 21:39

There are 2 more places I got errors that I didn't tell.

First is
./configure --disable-hardening --with-xcode-dir=/Volumes/Xcode/Xcode.app

It says I don't have qt5 but I have installed it using both MacPorts and I also have downloaded the application QT. So I did --disable-qt at my first try but this might have caused the other error I am going to talk about.
Checking for Qt5:
  ** Qt5 framework not found (can be disabled using --disable-qt)!

The other error is at
/Users/Shared/vbox/out/darwin.amd64/release/dist/loadall.sh

It says the destination does not have an Info.plist file.
/Users/Shared/vbox/out/darwin.amd64/release/dist/VBoxDrv.kext has no Info.plist file.
Terobero

Re: [Discussion] Build VirtualBox ≥ 5.1.2 on OSX ≥ 10.9

Postby socratis » 17. May 2018, 22:26

@Terobero
One issue at the time, starting with the earliest one, because that one can cause the rest of failures. I'm trying to figure out why the patch doesn't work as is, and what needs to be done to get it properly. I'm a complete n00b on this, so it may take me some time to see what's going on...

You could do the patch by hand in the meantime. You have to do the patch by hand in the meantime!

Unless you get the "configure" part to go with no errors, there is absolutely no point in continuing. None.

Terobero wrote:It says I don't have qt5 but I have installed it using both MacPorts and I also have downloaded the application QT.
I'm not sure why you downloaded the Qt Application (what's that??? where did you get it from???) and what it does to the system, you may have two competing Qt installations and that could break things.

That's the first part you have to figure out, forget about the kext for now...
socratis
Site Moderator

Return to VirtualBox OSE