Building debian pkg from 5.1.22 source - install.sh missing

Discussions related to using the OSE version of VirtualBox.
JSM09A

Building debian pkg from 5.1.22 source - install.sh missing

Post by JSM09A »

Running an updated Debian Jessie system, with the (backported) linux kernel version 4.9. Trying to build a debian package from the VirtualBox version 5.1.22 source archive. I unpacked the source (tar) archive, descended into the VirtualBox-5.1.22 directory, and issued the "dpkg-buildpackage -B -d" command.

It seems like the build proceeds well until the error shown at the end of the attached "BtmOfLog.txt". As detailed in the log, the build script eventually constructs a VirtualBox.tar archive, then extracts the constructs of that archive, and expects to find a "scripts/install.sh" file. Unfortunately, neither the scripts directory nor the install.sh file appear to be present in the VirtualBox.tar archive.

I have searched the logs and don't see any relevant errors. Can anyone suggests how I can modify the build so that it proceeds to completion ???

TIA !!!

Linux version 4.9.0-0.bpo.2-amd64
gcc version 4.9.2 (Debian 4.9.2-10)
SMP Debian 4.9.18-1~bpo8+1 (2017-04-10)
Attachments
TopOfLog.txt
Top of Build Log - shows configurations/versions
(4.62 KiB) Downloaded 131 times
BtmOfLog.txt
Bottom of Build Log - scripts/install.sh not in VirtualBox.tar
(12 KiB) Downloaded 138 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Building debian pkg from 5.1.22 source - install.sh missing

Post by socratis »

Moving to "OSE" from "Linux Hosts".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

You might take a look at https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux%2 ... structions
It looks like you have the necessary depends but I have never tried to use dpkg-buildpackage to build VBox. I know VBox has its own special kmk package and I suspect that is where it is failing for you since it appears you are not using it with "dpkg-buildpackage".
JSM09A

Post by JSM09A »

Perryg: Many thanks for the prompt response - much appreciated :)

The dpkg-buildpackage does indeed invoke VBox's kmk build systems ... as per the following near the beginning of the log file:

. debian/env.sh && kmk -C /home/scott/VirtualBox-5.1.22 AUTOCFG=/home/scott/VirtualBox-5.1.22/debian/AutoConfig.kmk LOCALCFG=/home/scott/VirtualBox-5.1.22/debian/LocalConfig.kmk PATH_OUT=/home/scott/VirtualBox-5.1.22/out/debian/builddir VBOX_WITHOUT_EXTPACK_PUEL_PACKING=1 VBOX_WITHOUT_EXTPACK_VNC_PACKING=1 VBOX_WITH_VMSVGA3D=1 VBOX_DO_STRIP= VBOX_WITH_MULTIVERSION_PYTHON= VBOX_PATH_PACKAGE_DOCS="\"/usr/share/doc/virtualbox-ose\"" --print-directory KBUILD_VERBOSE=2 all

I have reviewed the referenced instructions (many times ...) during my quest ... After getting all the dependencies sorted out, I believe that the dpkg-buildpackage process is successfully completing all of the "building" steps listed in the instructions :) I have kernel modules, a VirtualBox executable, icon files, NLS .qm files, a VBoxGuestAdditions.iso, Python policy files, VBoxSysInfo, vboxautostart-service script files, and many, many others. My problem is with the subsequent step of trying to install/deploy all of these files to the right places in the debian file structure. The referenced instructions don't seem to supply any guidance on how this might be done :( It seems like the missing scripts/install.sh file might be the key to this process ...

socratis: Sorry for initially posting to the wrong forum ...
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

I have been building VBox for a very long time and it is always the best to do it the way VirtualBox wants it done, at least from my experience.

If you want to build an installable ready to publish version then this link may help ( depends are out dated I am afraid and I will update them soon ) viewtopic.php?f=31&t=70118 Or you can also build a .deb install with /trunk/src/VBox/Installer/linux/debian/rules binary
twistedlincoln
Guest OSses: Nexradix

Post by twistedlincoln »

I have been trying to deal with this same issue for weeks with virtually no progress. Prior to the 5.1 branch, I was able to generate a .deb package via dpkg-buildpackage without difficulty.

I'd very much like to get this resolved, and am willing to do any necessary tests or gather whatever data is needed to help figure this out.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Sorry folks. We do not use "dpkg-buildpackage" to build VirtualBox. If this is a hard requirement then you would need to ask your distro for assistance. I have updated the dependencies now in the building VirtualBox section of the forum for Debian builds and have tested it with Debian 8.6 and VirtualBox 5.1.22 using our build instructions and it works as it should. I still need to test the deb build but that will have to wait until tomorrow.
JSM09A

Post by JSM09A »

Interim update ... Perryg: the second link you provided to the forum post on (SVN builds) was -very- helpful ! I was indeed able to construct an operational *.run file using that method, and that approach will probably meet my needs. I also tried to build a .deb file, but ran into problems. It appears that there is a conflict between multi-arch support (which I have) and the libfakeroot-sys modules. I am still investigating. Again, many thanks for the help :)
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

I am testing the deb building process now. I should be able to provide something tonight or tomorrow.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Small snag. I am having issues building the deb package with "debian/rules binary" in 8.6 so it may be a while until I get it all sorted out.

Disclaimer: I don't usually build the deb package ( for my use ) and since it has been a while since I last tested this something has changed in the build process and I need to debug it.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Ok so I have built the deb package in Ubuntu 16.10 and it works as it is supposed to. There will be warnings ( this is normal ) but it does not fail to build. I have not been able to diagnose why it fails in Debian 8.6 yet but I suspect it has to do with the restrictive way Debian is when it comes to these things. I will not give up tracing this down but since I have other things to do it may be a while.

The normal dependencies are required and the way to build is to use "/trunk/src/VBox/Installer/linux/debian/rules binary" ( /trunk = the top level folder )

Note: if you need to recompile the binary again run /trunk/src/VBox/Installer/linux/debian/rules clean first to make sure that you have a clean area to build in.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

I found the issue in Debian and had several reasons. First I do this in a guest which has the guest additions installed and that was problem one for Debian. The second one was I had corrupted the Debian 8.6 install and had to re-install. At that time I decided to install 8.8 because I had been putting that off anyway. The conflicting part in Debian was the dh_shlibdeps and that it tries to include all entries in the /var/lib section as a build requirement. Don't ask me why they are so inclusive but that is what happened and Debian does not want to fix this like the other Debian based distros have done. The easiest fix was to add the following to prevent the build from including the VBoxGuestAddition stuff. Otherwise you would need a chroot and have a clean install without all the additional packages that conflict. You can read about this in the Debian bug tracker and it effects more than just VirtualBox.
  • Edit Line 331 of the /VirtualBox-5.1.22/src/VBox/Installer/linux/debian/rules file and add the part in red.
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$(prefix)/usr/lib/virtualbox dh_shlibdeps --dpkg-shlibdeps-params=--ignore-missing-info
Now as far as building this on a host system it should just build following the information I have already provided and if not You need to look at what the error is and repair accordingly.