logging from VMMGC module

Discussions related to using the OSE version of VirtualBox.
vthakkar

logging from VMMGC module

Post by vthakkar »

What is the way to get logs from VMMRC.rc module that maps in the guest context? Do I need to build virtualbox with VBOX_WITH_R0_LOGGING enabled?
Specifically, I am looking to get logs from VMMRC/PATMRC.cpp.

Currently, I am creating a debug build of virtualbox and I have enabled VBOX_WITH_R0_LOGGING in my LocalConfig.kmk.
I am setting the following environment variable
set VBOX_LOG=patm*.e.l.f

But, I only get the PATM logs from VMMR3/PATM* files and not from VMMRC/PATMRC.cpp
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: logging from VMMGC module

Post by socratis »

Moving to "OSE" from "Windows Hosts".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Re: logging from VMMGC module

Post by frank »

Setting VBOX_WITH_R0_LOGGING is not necessary to get logging from stuff running in raw mode: Stuff in VMM/VMMRC (which is placed into VMMRC.rc) runs only in the raw context (guest context R0) -- when VT-x is not used. VBOX_WITH_R0_LOGGING is for enabling logging of the host R0 context (VT-x used, the VMM runs in host R0 context).

To enable logging for VMMR3/PATMRC you need to compile VBox as debug build. You need to set BUILD_TYPE=debug. If you compile VBox with

Code: Select all

./configure
then you need to run

./configure --build-debug
which will change that environment variable in env.sh.

When you run VBox, make sure to set

VBOX_LOG=patm.e.l.f
. I think the asterik in your line is superfluous. To be on the safe side, export VBOX_LOG.