Can't build on xenial 16.04, kernel 4.8.1: No rule to make target `...libQt5X11Extras.so'

Discussions related to using the OSE version of VirtualBox.
Yuri Gor

Can't build on xenial 16.04, kernel 4.8.1: No rule to make target `...libQt5X11Extras.so'

Post by Yuri Gor »

Hi!
I am trying to build vbox at Ubuntu Xenial 16.04, kernel 4.8.1, 64bit
but have this error:

Code: Select all

kmk: *** No rule to make target `/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQt5X11Extras.so', needed by `/home/gor/Downloads/VB/vbox/out/linux.amd64/release/obj/VirtualBox/VirtualBox'.  Stop.
package libQt5X11Extras is installed.

I am following linux build instructions from virtualbox wiki,
but it looks outdated a bit, so I installed some alternative packages instead of missing.

I need to build vbox to make it run with fresh linux kernel, because prebuilt version says me that it cannot run with this kernel version.
(I need fresh kernel to make second monitor work correctly with my laptop)

Any help will be highly appretiated
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Can't build on xenial 16.04, kernel 4.8.1: No rule to make target `...libQt5X11Extras.so'

Post by Perryg »

You need the qt5.3 package installed and not just the extras. I question why you really need to build it though instead of installing the pre-built deb. It is the same thing in the end. Don't get me wrong, I believe everyone that wants to should actually build their own. Keeps you tuned in Linux.
lmolas

Re: Can't build on xenial 16.04, kernel 4.8.1: No rule to make target `...libQt5X11Extras.so'

Post by lmolas »

Perryg wrote:You need the qt5.3 package installed and not just the extras.
Hi, I have the exact same issue. Thanks for the reply, would you mind elaborating on that?

I have downloaded the package libqt5x11extras5 but still have the same error, maybe because it corresponds to the Qt 5.5.1 version. Is it necessary to install it (the 5.3 version) from source?
Perryg wrote:I question why you really need to build it though
I do not have a real need to build it, but I would like to get more familiarized with the VirtualBox code architecture. Being able to study, modify and build the code seemed like a good first step (besides reading the documentation) towards that goal. But I welcome suggestions to alternative approaches.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

@lmolas,
What does qmake -v show when run from a terminal?
lmolas

Post by lmolas »

Following on my previous post: installing libqt5x11extras5-dev (instead of libqt5x11extras5) fixed the issue.

@Perryg: Thanks again for the fast reply, the version of Qt installed is 5.5.1. I attach the command output for completeness:

Code: Select all

QMake version 3.0
Using Qt version 5.5.1 in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu