How to build a multi-platform extension pack?

Discussions related to using the OSE version of VirtualBox.
volkertb

How to build a multi-platform extension pack?

Post by volkertb »

Hello,

I've been searching for information and documentation about this, but so far, I've been unable to find anything about it, so I'm asking it here.

What is the correct way to assemble a single "fat" (as in multi-platform) extension pack, just like Oracle managed to do with its closed-source extension pack?

If I build one of the example extension packs bundled with the VirtualBox OSE source code, such as the bus mouse extension pack or the VNC extension pack, the result is indeed a .vbox-extpack file, but one that has been built for one target platform only and that can therefore only be installed on a VirtualBox version on the same platform. In other words, a .vbox-extpack file built in Linux cannot be installed in a VirtualBox installation on Windows. Of course I understand that I would have to compile my extension pack(s) on each platform separately, but so far, I haven't been able to find any standard script that would bundle platform-specific .vbox-extpack files into a single "fat" multi-platform .vbox-extpack file, like Oracle's extension pack.

Perhaps such a script already exists in the code base in plain sight and I just missed it, but regardless, I hope someone can help me out with this.

Thank you kindly in advance!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: How to build a multi-platform extension pack?

Post by socratis »

You may not find an answer here easily. There are a few lurkers here that build their own VirtualBox. Even fewer (if any) that build an ExtPack. I would suggest to also post your question in the developer's mailing list, you'll have a better chance. Details: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Mailing_lists
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
volkertb

Re: How to build a multi-platform extension pack?

Post by volkertb »

Thanks for the suggestion and sorry for my late reply. I will inquire further on the VirtualBox developers list then. I hope they'll be able to answer my question there. :)