"Port Mode" description

Discussions related to using the OSE version of VirtualBox.
Dhaks

"Port Mode" description

Post by Dhaks »

Hello Experts,

Can someone suggest or provide some reference, on what is the fundamental difference between selecting "TCP" or "Host Pipe" for Port Mode settings. My VirtualBox compiled, run locally on Linux host. Virtual Box 5.0.2.

I am basically trying to get guest VM talk over the network to a local windows machine. Request does seem to come through but VM response back on that TCP port seems to be the problem.

I assigned a TCP port number in VBox settings, Serial Ports -> Path/Address = 1500. Even though I don't see response coming back from the VM on either Port Mode's , I do sense some difference between Port Mode "TCP" vs "Host Pipe"
Can someone suggest what would be appropriate settings for my use case ?

Thanks.
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Re: "Port Mode" description

Post by klaus »

The "serial port to TCP" conversion is a contribution by Technologov (see https://www.virtualbox.org/browser/vbox ... DrvTCP.cpp), and I had to read the sources to figure out what it does. It seems that you correctly use the port number in the config, but on the other aspects it's hard for me to comment. I never tried the code, and it might be simply subtly broken.

What's your intention behind your setup? The big picture is missing, maybe there's actually a better solution for what you want to achieve...
Dhaks

Re: "Port Mode" description

Post by Dhaks »

Hi Klaus, TCP port actually worked, it was an issue with the "intermittent" code I wrote, It looks good now. Thanks.