Need help compiling VBox - XPCOM problems

Discussions related to using the OSE version of VirtualBox.
klipp
Primary OS: Mandriva
VBox Version: OSE Mandriva
Guest OSses: ecomstation 2.0

Need help compiling VBox - XPCOM problems

Post by klipp »

I'm trying to compile a older version of VBox (2.2.4 source), I get the error detailed below, apparently it can't find xpt_structure.h. I can't figure out the steps necessary to get around this error. This same error occurs on newer sources. Could someone please describe what is necessary to get by this problem.

kBuild: Compiling xpidl - /home/klipp/2.2.4/src/libs/xpcom18a4/xpcom/typelib/xpidl/xpidl.c
In file included from /home/klipp/2.2.4/src/libs/xpcom18a4/xpcom/typelib/xpidl/xpidl.c:42:0:
/home/klipp/2.2.4/src/libs/xpcom18a4/xpcom/typelib/xpidl/xpidl.h:58:24: fatal error: xpt_struct.h: No such file or directory
#include <xpt_struct.h>

Thanks for any ideas, btw this is attempting to compile on Kubuntu 14.10

klipp
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Need help compiling VBox - XPCOM problems

Post by Perryg »

You won't be able to do this since the version of VBox too old to support the newer OS kernel.

Moving to VirtualBox OSE.
klipp

Post by klipp »

Thanks for the reply Perryg, I'm not planning on trying to run it using the newer OS kernel. I'm just after a clean compile of any VBox source from 2.2.4 through 3.2.2. This is for educational purposes only gcc & VBox sources. No plans of trying to run these older versions on Linux. Some time in the future I hope to migrate to the newer stuff. For now I just need advice on how to get a correct compile of XPCOM.

Thanks, klipp
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

You're going to need to compile it with an older host/guest.

I usually install an older guest to compile the older versions. ELF is just one of the things that you need to contend with as well as the kernel and headers.
Kind of like the guest additions. The DEVs use an older unit so things aren't out of whack when installing in some distros that don't support the newer gcc, or kernels.
klipp

Post by klipp »

Right now it looks like the XPCOM/xpt_struct.h is the only thing holding me back. I remove XPCOM from the build list in ./configure and it runs through the complete build process and writes all to the out directory, the last thing its supposed to do is write a Autoconf.kmk file, but doesn't do this probably because XPCOM has not been included in the build process. Hopefully figuring out how to include xpt_struct.h will get me close to the desired completed build.

klipp