3.11-rc3+: can't build from either 4.2.16 or SVN 47735

Discussions related to using the OSE version of VirtualBox.
incident41
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10 64-bit

3.11-rc3+: can't build from either 4.2.16 or SVN 47735

Post by incident41 »

4.2.16 fails for the readdir -> iterate replacement:

Code: Select all

/share/vbox/VirtualBox-4.2.16/src/VBox/Additions/linux/sharedfolders/dirops.c:292:5: error: unknown field ‘readdir’ specified in initializer
/share/vbox/VirtualBox-4.2.16/src/VBox/Additions/linux/sharedfolders/dirops.c:292:5: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type [enabled by default]
/share/vbox/VirtualBox-4.2.16/src/VBox/Additions/linux/sharedfolders/dirops.c:292:5: warning: (near initialization for ‘sf_dir_fops.flush’) [enabled by default]
SVN (revision 47735, checked out today) appears to have fixed the above, but fails linking tstVBoxDbg and tstUsbMouse:

Code: Select all

kBuild: Linking tstUsbMouse
kBuild: Installing VBoxTestOGL => /share/vbox/svn/vbox/out/linux.amd64/release/bin/VBoxTestOGL
kBuild: Linking tstVBoxDbg
/opt/VirtualBox/VBoxREM.so: undefined reference to `HWACCMR3CanExecuteGuest'
/opt/VirtualBox/VBoxREM.so: undefined reference to `HWACCMR3CanExecuteGuest'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
kmk: *** [/share/vbox/svn/vbox/out/linux.amd64/release/obj/tstUsbMouse/tstUsbMouse] Error 1
The failing command:
@g++               '-Wl,-rpath,/opt/VirtualBox' '-Wl,-rpath,/opt/VirtualBox'  -Wl,-z,noexecstack -Wl,--as-needed -m64   -o /share/vbox/svn/vbox/out/linux.amd64/release/obj/tstUsbMouse/tstUsbMouse /share/vbox/svn/vbox/out/linux.amd64/release/obj/tstUsbMouse/tstUsbMouse.o /share/vbox/svn/vbox/out/linux.amd64/release/obj/tstUsbMouse/dt/UsbMouse.o     /share/vbox/svn/vbox/out/linux.amd64/release/bin/VBoxVMM.so   /share/vbox/svn/vbox/out/linux.amd64/release/bin/VBoxRT.so   -lpthread   -lm   -lrt   -ldl 
kmk: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
kmk: *** [/share/vbox/svn/vbox/out/linux.amd64/release/obj/tstVBoxDbg/tstVBoxDbg] Error 1
The failing command:
@g++                     -Wl,--as-needed '-Wl,-rpath,/opt/VirtualBox'   -m64   -o /share/vbox/svn/vbox/out/linux.amd64/release/obj/tstVBoxDbg/tstVBoxDbg /share/vbox/svn/vbox/out/linux.amd64/release/obj/tstVBoxDbg/testcase/tstVBoxDbg.o   -L/usr/X11R6/lib64  -L/usr/X11R6/lib  -L/usr/lib64   /share/vbox/svn/vbox/out/linux.amd64/release/bin/VBoxVMM.so   /share/vbox/svn/vbox/out/linux.amd64/release/bin/VBoxRT.so   /share/vbox/svn/vbox/out/linux.amd64/release/bin/VBoxDbg.so   /share/vbox/svn/vbox/out/linux.amd64/release/bin/VBoxRT.so   /share/vbox/svn/vbox/out/linux.amd64/release/lib/VMMR3LazyImp.a   -lXcursor   -lXext   -lX11   /share/vbox/svn/vbox/out/linux.amd64/release/lib/VBoxCOM.a   /share/vbox/svn/vbox/out/linux.amd64/release/bin/VBoxXPCOM.so   /usr/lib64/libQtCore.so   /usr/lib64/libQtGui.so   /usr/lib64/libQtCore.so   /usr/lib64/libQtGui.so 
kmk: *** Exiting with status 2
Any suggestion (maybe some extra -l switches?) obviously welcome :)
Perryg
Site Moderator
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: 3.11-rc3+: can't build from either 4.2.16 or SVN 47735

Post by Perryg »

The DEVs usually don't do a lot with non-released kernels. Your best bet is to ask them on the DEV mailing list. I can tell you that I build my own custom Debian version against SVN and have no issues even with 3.11, but I have not tested rc3 yet and there could be an issue there AFAIK.
incident41

Post by incident41 »

Perryg wrote:The DEVs usually don't do a lot with non-released kernels. Your best bet is to ask them on the DEV mailing list. I can tell you that I build my own custom Debian version against SVN and have no issues even with 3.11, but I have not tested rc3 yet and there could be an issue there AFAIK.
Thanks Perryg...

DEVs appear to actually do quite a lot - since the -rc3 build problem has been fixed in SVN 8)

Anyway, I dug in a bit deeper and there seems to be something weird :?:

The linking of the two programs in SVN fails upon referencing the existing /opt/VirtualBox/VBoxREM.so (which comes from my 4.2.16 existing installation, built under earlier kernels)... but the HWACCMR3CanExecuteGuest symbol doesn't exist anymore in SVN.

That symbol used to be in include/VBox/vmm/hwaccm.h - and that file has been removed from current SVN. Correctly, I'd say, since the symbol isn't referenced anywhere in the SVN sources.

Which likely means I have to first uninstall my existing 4.2.16, and only then try to build from SVN.

If that works, it'll be a new issue - I never uninstalled earlier releases while building before (mostly from tarballs and once from SVN). I'll post back with my findings.
incident41

Post by incident41 »

Well that was quick. It was enough to rename /opt/VirtualBox and restart the script I use for building as normal user, then installing as root - and my Win7-64 VM is being brought up.

Definitely a new thing for me. Thanks for chiming in as always !

--alessandro
Perryg
Site Moderator
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

One thing. If you are rebuilding or compiling again due to a change in file structure, diffs, Etc.. You need to make sure to delete the out folder. This can cause a lot of different issues during compile.
sergiomb
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: windows Fedora rawhide

Post by sergiomb »