Building VirtualBox inside a VirtualBox.

Discussions related to using the OSE version of VirtualBox.
VBoxDev

Building VirtualBox inside a VirtualBox.

Post by VBoxDev »

Hi,

I am having a Win 7 - x64 host machine. I have installed a guest Ubuntu - x64 in a VirtualBox on the Win7 host. I plan to use this Ubuntu guest as a development OS for building VBox.

I tried building VBox on the Ubuntu guest as per instructions mentioned in "Building VBox on Linux" . The build completes successfully. However when I try to run the command -

cd out/linux.amd64/release/bin/src , I get the error "Path not Found". I observed that the "src" directory is not created under the bin. The bin directory has several binaries including "VirtualBox". However, the folder "src" is missing.

Any ideas what could be error ?
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Building VirtualBox inside a VirtualBox.

Post by Perryg »

Then the build did not work properly.

Post the commands that you used to create the build.

You do know that the builds are OS specific. Meaning they only work on the arch. that they are built on. Linux on Linux, 32-bit on 32-bit, Etc.

Lastly, while you can build and develop on a virtual guest (I do it all the time) you can not actually install a guest and run it on a virtual machine. Nested virtualization is not supported.
VBoxDev

Re: Building VirtualBox inside a VirtualBox.

Post by VBoxDev »

Thanks Perryg.

Since you mentioned that nested Virtualization is not supported on VBox, I installed Ubuntu-x64 < wubi > and have started the development process on it. I shall be installing Win 7 guests inside the Ubuntu-x64 host.

This time I could successfully build VBox with no issues. I could also install and launch Win 7 guests using the VBox binary developed.

I am planning to study the PageFusion code for the Win 7 guests and if possible implement the support for Linux guests.

I am trying to build the Additions < by inserting some traces in the file "/home/VirtualBox-4.2.4/src/VBox/Additions/common/VBoxService/VBoxServicePageSharing.cpp" > so that I can study the execution before trying to implement the support for Linux guests. However, I am not sure how I shall configure the system to build the GuestAdditions for the guest Win7 machines and the VirtualBox binary which I plan to run on the Ubuntu host.

In addition, if you are aware of any documentation \ pointers to the working of Pagefusion on Windows guests could you please redirect me to it ?