Licensing Questions

Discussions related to using the OSE version of VirtualBox.
Kartweel

Licensing Questions

Post by Kartweel »

Hi,

I'm just looking for some advice / opinions / information on some licensing things.

First off, everything refers to the VRDP stuff not being in the open source edition and you have to install the extension pack, but in my install of VB (4.1.8) (Which when I downloaded the binary from the site said is GPL 2) it has the Remote Display option there. The only thing it seems to be lacking is USB 2 support... Is that right?

Does that also mean the guest additions are GPL 2 if they are released along with it? (In the install in windows I don't get anything saying about the license, not even if it is GPL)

If I write a web front-end to virtualbox, does it also need to be released under the GPL ? The GPL FAQ says about communication using sockets (vboxwebsrv?) or command line (vboxmanage) is usually 2 separate programs, so can be under whatever license... do you think that is the case here?

Sorry if these are stupid questions. I have been digging around but I keep finding conflicting information.

Thanks!
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Licensing Questions

Post by mpack »

If it's in the (open) source then it's GPL2. That includes the guest additions. Source code is not available for the extension pack.

It's a hot topic of debate at what point your app becomes infected by the GPL virus. Using GPL source modules in your own project definitely does it, as does statically linking your app with a GPL static library. Dynamically linking with a GPL DLL is a different can of worms. I don't see how they can count that since it effectively means that commercial closed source apps for Linux is impossible, since all apps will - directly or indirectly - link dynamically with OS DLLs. I would assume that an app which only communicates remotely with GPL code, using some kind of standard network protocol, is not constrained by GPL.

However: we are not lawyers here. If you want a legal opinion then lawyers are really the best people to approach! My comments here are good faith opinions, hopefully informed, from a programmer who has examined what impacts these issues have on my work.
Kartweel

Post by Kartweel »

Thanks for your input.
mpack wrote:If it's in the (open) source then it's GPL2
The main binary download for VB says it is GPL 2. So that would mean everything is in the open source except for the extension pack?
mpack wrote:link dynamically with OS DLLs
I think that is allowed under the GPL. I'm sure I read it in the FAQ.

I think what I am looking at, would making a web front-end for virtualbox that isn't GPL be in the spirit of of the GPL license? I mean in terms of trying to get around the license on a technicality or anything.

I think the intention would be that it is 2 separate programs, they run stand-alone, so it isn't a modified work. If any changes to VB were made or enhancements, etc, then that would obviously be GPL. I think GPL is often not black and white, especially with out complex systems are now!, so I'd be happy to go off majority opinion :).

Not really worth getting a lawyer. They would cost more than having to release source under GPL would!

Regarding my VRDP question. I discovered even though all the settings are there, it doesn't work unless the extension pack is installed... lol after much hunting I answered my own question!
Kartweel

Post by Kartweel »

Another thought... If VB is released under GPL, how can the extension pack be closed source... ? That would most definitely be linked so shouldn't it be GPL?. I mean Oracle dictate the VB license, so really they can do whatever they want (GPL with Oracle extension pack linking license?).
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Kartweel wrote:Another thought... If VB is released under GPL, how can the extension pack be closed source... ?
The whole intended point of having an extension pack is that it allows the main app to be open source and GPL.
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

Few notes:

1. Official Oracle VirtualBox ships RDP buttons only in GUI, but there is no RDP logic (so those buttons will not work)
If you want RDP to work, ext.pack is needed.

2. If you want more freedom: use VirtualBox-OSE (community version) - it has VNC server, but it is not part of Oracle's build.
Debian ships this one.

3. VirtualBox is dual-licensed under GPL + Oracle PUEL, so Oracle can ship non-free plugins. (much like Trolltech Qt was licensed)