ethernet bridge fails after 100MBytes or so

Discussions related to using the OSE version of VirtualBox.
fam
Primary OS: Fedora 10
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: OpenSolaris

ethernet bridge fails after 100MBytes or so

Post by fam »

This on AMD64 single core Fedora C10 host, OpenSolaris guest running from iscsi disk, V3.0 built from SVN late last week (3.0.51_OSEr21206) to get around iscsi regression.

Trying to do "pkg image_update" from snv111b, it runs for an hour or so (rather slowly) and then the Ethernet bridge stops working (it is configured with a static IP address; the host has hard wired 100MB/s Ethernet). Rebooting the guest seems to reset the bridge so it will run for another hour or so. This is quite reproducible (done it 3 times already).

Under VirtualBox 2.2.4, it was possible to do "pkg image-update" to get to snv111b without this problem, so this appears to be a regression.

Thought I'd check here before submitting a bug.
baf
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: linux,xp,win7

Re: ethernet bridge fails after 100MBytes or so

Post by baf »

What type of network card to have have selected in VB? If pcnet try changing to one of the intel types.
Some say: "You learn as long as you live".
My way: "You live as long as you learn".
fam

Post by fam »

It already is --

Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop (Bridged adapter, eth0)
fam

Post by fam »

This looks a bit like Ticket #3318 (new defect), although that was reported against 2.2.2 in NAT mode. There are some differences - here the interface freezes completely - no packets in any direction, and didn't seem to be a problem in 2.2.4, but perhaps the upgrade to snv111b from snv111a didn't involve transferring more than 1/2GB of data like the upgrade from snv111b to snv117 does. So is this a new bug or an addition to #3318?

The interface also seems to be rather slow - at 100MByte/hour, around 200KBit/sec; the real cpu doesn't seem to be particularly stressed. Is this normal? I would have expected at least an order of magnitude higher speed than this. From previous image-updates on X86 and SPARC, I don't think the upload site is doing any throttling.