Building OSE in/for Mac OS X?

Discussions related to using the OSE version of VirtualBox.
ndial
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux (Ubuntu, Fedora, CentOS)

Building OSE in/for Mac OS X?

Post by ndial »

From what I've seen in this forum, it looks like building in Linux is about as easy as building anything in Linux, and building on not-Linux is a chore. I'm using a Mac OS X host, and the wiki documentation looks like it might be out of date or something.

It says the Mac OS X port of Virtualbox is still a work in progress, but the PUEL version looks like a complete program.

It says to get some dependencies from MacPorts, then says to get SDL 1.2.12 or later (1.2.13 is now available in MacPorts) from the SDL site. Does that mean ported libSDL won't work?

Same for "Qt/Mac 4.3.x or 4.4.x." ... does that mean qt4-mac 4.5.1 won't work? (or that nothing else available through ports would work?)

It looks like all the dependencies can be satisified by pulling them in from MacPorts, but when I try to just port what looks like it should work, a trivial ./configure doesn't know where to find things. Maybe I just need to give directories for each of the libraries -- or is there something inherently not-working in the ported libraries? I'm much more familiar with building on Linux than Mac ... and I don't mind groping around until I figure out the right build recipe for the Mac, but would it be easier for me to cross-compile it from within a Linux VM?