"Updating" from OSE tu PUEL without losing VMs

Discussions related to using the OSE version of VirtualBox.
cathguay
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: Windows Vista (raw partition)

"Updating" from OSE tu PUEL without losing VMs

Post by cathguay »

Hi,

I'd like to update from OSE to PUEL to get the USB transfer to work. Is there a way to do it without losing the virtual machines in the process?
I'm using VBoxOSE to access my Vista raw partition in the moment and it works just fine. I had to reinstall Vista from the OS CD the first time I launched the vm and reinstall every software I'm using for my work. I hardly want to do this again!
Any way I can simply switch from OSE to PUEL?
An info that might be important: I can only access my Vista partition from VBox at the moment, booting in Vista when I start the computer won't work. I don't care for the moment since VBox is working correctly but....

Thanks!!
Catherine
vbox4me2
Volunteer

Re: "Updating" from OSE tu PUEL without losing VMs

Post by vbox4me2 »

You should be able to, but as always no 100% guarentees. Making a backup is recommended.
Make notes how VM's are configured and how VDI's are registered, then upgrade and make new VM's with the settings you wrote down. Optionally first remove ose. Removing/upgrading VBox does not delete the VDI's, the rest are settings.
cathguay
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: Windows Vista (raw partition)

Re: "Updating" from OSE tu PUEL without losing VMs

Post by cathguay »

I can't believe it !!! I removed VBox OSE, installed VBox for jaunty jackalope 32 bit and my Vista raw partition was there, waiting for me, nothing has changed... but I can now use USB! I simply can't believe everything worked out perfectly. Thanks to VBox, I'm totally satisfied!